Newcomer

Cannot port phone number due to "rate center" issue July 2017!

I cannot believe that in this day and age of VOIP, a phone number cannot be "ported" over.  My ATT landline was taken to Vonage (by me) - went smoothly.  Now, I want to transfer this number to my new phone service in context of the tripple play (29+29+29).  

Was informed that it cannot be done as my old number is in another rate center to the center that serves my new address. Old and new addresses are 2.5 miles apart.

I am a telecom professional of 25 years plus experience - I sat thru number portability debate and had to made equipment changes to allow it to go smoothly. Now, in 2017!, I am discover that Spectrum folks are living in the previous decade.

BTW: (This is borderline entertaining) - I was advised to first port the number as a cell phone and THEN they would be able to port it over to my new address. 

Technical RED TAPE - has sunk many a company.

Is someone listening - Spectrum?

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Cannot port phone number due to "rate center" issue July 2017!

What do you want for $29 a month?

rate centers aren't necessarily your distance, it's the carriers switch locations...

Rookie

I feel your pain about rate increases.  My internet fee was increase by 125%.  Explination was becasue I had TWC now I have Spectrum.  Will be moving on after many years with TWC.

Rookie

It's probably actually Vonage's problem. In order to port my company's numbers out of Vonage to another service (not TWC/Spectrum) I first had to port it to a cheapie cell phone SIM card for a few days, then port it out of that SIM to the other service. Vonage just makes it as hard as possible to extract your number from them.
Expert

Sprint is the same way, and if you have an unexpired contract, they won't budge either.

Shopping for the cheapest service ends up with compromised service/ features. Ameritec won't release numbers to Verizon, they're all competitors.

Newcomer

MUCH appreciated!