Highlighted
Rookie

Can't port a cell phone number to Spectrum?

I called to try and port a T-Mobile number to Spectrum, and they told me it wasn't possible to port a cell number to their service. I just want to get a second opinion, since I've never heard of this being a thing.

I had no trouble porting a different T-Mo number to Google Voice a few days ago, and these numbers aren't out of area or anything. So what gives?

3 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Can't port a cell phone number to Spectrum?

eal90 wrote:

I called to try and port a T-Mobile number to Spectrum, and they told me it wasn't possible to port a cell number to their service. I just want to get a second opinion, since I've never heard of this being a thing.

I had no trouble porting a different T-Mo number to Google Voice a few days ago, and these numbers aren't out of area or anything. So what gives?

Try to see if you can port it to an Ooma.

At least you can take the number with you when you move, since your phone number is tied to the Telo and not the ISP...

Established Sharer

eal90 wrote:

==============

Federal law says you CAN DO THAT.  You can take your number from ANY service, to ANY OTHER service.  Threaten them by saying you'll file a complaint with the FCC, and your State regulator (the PUC in California).

Sharer

DaKat wrote:

eal90 wrote:

==============

Federal law says you CAN DO THAT.  You can take your number from ANY service, to ANY OTHER service.  Threaten them by saying you'll file a complaint with the FCC, and your State regulator (the PUC in California).

But thre are some exceptions, escpecially is less populated areas:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/porting-keeping-your-phone-number-when-you-change-providers

Still doesn't explain why T-mobile won't let the number go...