Browser

Can make calls but can't receive them

This started  a few weeks ago when people began to tell me they couldn't call me. They said it rings once, then they just hear static. However, I had no problems making calls, but I did notice quite a bit of static on the line. Yesterday I had no dial tone and the TEL1 light on the modem was blinking. I tried unplugging the modem from the power - that didn't help. I also tried to disconnect the phones one by one, but that didn't help. I then re-booted the modem, but that didn't help. I finally had to go to a friend's home to use the phone to call TW. The technician checked the line and said everything looked operational and I had a strong signal. She reset the modem, then  tried to dial my number. She said it rang once, then went dead and set up a service call. I haven't changed anything and I have the same phones I've been using for years.  Any specualtion on what the problem is?

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Can make calls but can't receive them

connect only one phone to the back of the modem to rule out your in house wiring.

Did the connection to the old landline provider get properly disconnected at the outside network interface box?

do you have cordless phone or answering machine base stations in use?

Browser

The only sure answer I can give you is that I do have a cordless phone and answeing maching. I did not have an interface box on the old land line system, but the technician cut those lines.

Browser

I also disconnected the cordless phone and the answering machine, but that didn't help.
Lead Moderator

If you unplug the phone wire from the back of the modem and call the phone from say a neighbors or a cellular telephone do you get the same one ring and then static? if it rings and rings and rings you will know that there is something wrong either with your wiring or with the port on the modem, not the modem its self. The ring would indicate the call 

was terminating at the modem. 

I would also suggest doing as @MsRaye suggested, take a single phone and plug it 

into the back of the modem, test to see if you have problems with just bypassing your

home wiring. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Social Media Customer Care
Moderator-Community Forums

Browser

I removed the phone cable from the modem and called my number from a cell phone. It rang and rang.

Browser

I plugged a phone directly to the modem and called my number. It worked. So that would indicate a problm with the wiring?

Lead Moderator

Yes it would. If you are able to make and receive calls with that single phone plugged in 

that would tell us 1. it is not a problem with the modem/service 2. it is not a problem with that

specific telephone. 

You can also try your other telephones one at a time and see if you can deduct if it was one of them causing the problem. 

If all of your telephones check out okay then we would deduct that there is an issue with the wiring or with one of the phone outlets themselves.

Regards,
Julia R.
Social Media Customer Care
Moderator-Community Forums