Rookie
j13c
Accepted Solution

Can I Purchase my own cable box?

I lease 1 box ,can I buy one of my own and use it on another TV?

Wordsmith
MsRaye

Re: Can I Purchase my own cable box?

Basic cable only, either your tv in cable mode via it's internal tuner or a converter box until 2015 when TWC pulls all the clear analog and replaces it with encrypted QAM and will have to rent a basic box from them for $1 a month...

Rookie
j13c

I have a triple pkg. with a cable box and another tv with out a box, can I buy a box of my own and use it on the another TV, so I don't have to rent a 2nd box??

Observer
NobodyUKnow

The only thing you could buy would be a Tivo or an HTPC. Tivo has either a monthly fee or lifetime service, an HTPC has no monthly fee. Both you would have to rent a cable card.

TWC Employee
natalia

Hi - if you have Digital TV, you can buy a Roku and stream live TV on any other TV in your house...or if you have an Xbox 360 and an Xbox Live Gold subscription, you can stream channels using the TWC TV app.

Newcomer
royc1982

I understand you can use Roku and xbox 360.  I perfer the guide from the digitial box and also my xbox one needs a cable box so it can show the guide.  So is there any possible way of owning a cable box to avoid the fee per box you have in your household?

Newcomer
larshart

Time Warner's website shows MANY cable boxes that are supposedly compatible with their seervice.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/faqs/faqs-tv/twctvapp/what-cable-boxes-ar...

Valued Participant
twc90250

I can't find the specific TWC policy online, but I'm pretty sure that you cannot purchase any of the 'compatible' set top boxes legally. Since you would have to rent a cable card to activate the STB, I'm not sure why this is an issue anymore. More lack of backbone and/or corruption in the FCC and Congress.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stuck with power hungry Moto DCX3200-M set top box
Newcomer
upsdriver1988

Forcing a consumer to buy or rent equipment in order to use their service is agianst the Sherman antitrust act. Ask AT&T about it and their phone service.

Spectator
Aridolfo

You left out something; ... buy or rent equipment FROM THEM ... You still need to buy a phone and rent the interface.
Same way you could buy a apTivo box and rent the interface ie a cable card).