Browser

Cable boxes

I have Spectrum for almost a year now (Switched from DTV) I have to say that the experience is less than steller. I am about to swap out my THIRD cable box due to malfunctioning. The latest problem is freezing. The picture freezes for about 45 seconds every few mins only on some stations. Back in April I had to swap due to picture studder.  These cables boxes are real crap and so outdated. Its funny that all advertising on TV and print is all about Internet, and not the TV portion. I am so fed up I'm thinking of Fios. $160.00 per month for this???

JJK
3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Helper

Re: Cable boxes

It sounds to me like you may have a coax issue. The boxes aren't getting the proper signal to operate correctly. Have you had a tech come out to test your lines?

Browser

I have not. Thanx for the tip. 

JJK
Trusted Helper

@JKelly wrote:

I have Spectrum for almost a year now (Switched from DTV) I have to say that the experience is less than steller. I am about to swap out my THIRD cable box due to malfunctioning. The latest problem is freezing. The picture freezes for about 45 seconds every few mins only on some stations. Back in April I had to swap due to picture studder.  These cables boxes are real crap and so outdated. Its funny that all advertising on TV and print is all about Internet, and not the TV portion. I am so fed up I'm thinking of Fios. $160.00 per month for this???

Hello,

YOU DO NOT HAVE A BOX ISSUE!  YOU HAVE A SIGNAL DROP LINE, OR WIRING ISSUE: Review the information below:

If your picture is pixilating, loss of channels, On Demand issues- This is almost never a box issue and almost always a signal or drop line issue.  This could be a problem with the drop line, the tap, your junction box down the street, an issue with a bad tap.  In this case, avoid rebooting any boxes, modems or routers for six hours before a tech visit.  Doing so will reset the error codes back to zero and the tech needs to see the error codes.

A NEW OR SWAPPED BOX WILL NEVER, EVER SOLVE BAD SIGNALS, DROP LINE PROBLEMS, OR WIRING PROBLEMS!  This mandates that the wiring or drop line be replaced.  It could be that, it could be the tap, it could be the junction box on your street.

DON'T OVER-REBOOT-This puts a strain on the box, in addition to resetting the error codes that the tech needs to see.  This is also true for modems and routers as well as boxes.  If you have bad signals, a reboot will only temporarily resolve things.  But the problems will come back unless the wiring, drop, or tap issue causing the problem is replaced.  If two reboots AT THE MOST are not fixing things, something else is wrong.  You should be able to go for months without rebooting if lines, signals, and wiring are good.

Satch