Rookie

Cable boxes needed for all TVs!

New digital service requires boxes for all TVs in the house!  I have 7 TVs.  Each box will be an additional charge.  Feel like we’re hostages in a cable tv war!

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Cable boxes needed for all TVs!

Sign of the times. You have several options.

1. You can use a rooftop antenna to get ota stations to these tv’s.

2. If you are also a spectrum internet customer, you can buy roku’s and use them to tune live tv ( and other services such as Netflix and amazon prime video.). With seven televisions, I would strongly recommend hard wired Ethernet connections to your roku’s. There is an up front cost, but you won’t pay rental fees. Use power line Ethernet adapters to extend your hard wired lan.

Spectator

Buy Roku, and you eliminate the perpetual monthly charge for their boxes.  You can then use the Spectrum TV app for free.  Brand new Roku sticks are available on eBay for around $30.  I have four, and they work great.  I was able to take back 2 cable boxes to Spectrum and save $13 per month.  Good luck.

Spectator

By the way, I use wireless Roku which works fine.  Hardwired Ethernet is better but may not be necessary for you and those Roku devices can be more expensive.

Expert

I bet you don't watch all 7 at once,

Newcomer

So if you are NOT an internet customer, using the app through a ROKU won’t work?

Proven Sharer

Kdrz wrote:

So if you are NOT an internet customer, using the app through a ROKU won’t work?

Correct. The app validates via your home network that is powered by Spectrum internet.

ph1
Rookie

got to stream with roku, smart TV, tablet app etc.   For some unknown reason all channels via cable box are not available

Newcomer

Ok... thx. I saw in another post and spike with a customer service rep last night who said it might be possible but you need to call for technical support. Not sure I trust that info tho.