Participant

Cable box gets weird channels....

Starting about a month ago the cable box has been acting very strange.  When I turn it on it is on 105,  Channel up gives 140, then 132, 185, 256 and so on.  It used to be 105, 106, 107, etc.

I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, a couple times, but it doesn't change.  The channels aren't random; the same sequence comes up everytime.

Is there anything to do, except have ti replaced?

8 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Cable box gets weird channels....

@Tollerowner wrote:

Starting about a month ago the cable box has been acting very strange.  When I turn it on it is on 105,  Channel up gives 140, then 132, 185, 256 and so on.  It used to be 105, 106, 107, etc.

I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, a couple times, but it doesn't change.  The channels aren't random; the same sequence comes up everytime.

Is there anything to do, except have ti replaced?

Yes,

Before any box swap, you must call Spectrum for a signal and drop line test, as a new box will never solve bad signals.  The tech needs to check your drop-line, your main tap, and inside, and outside wiring just to see if that is causing your mixed-up channels.

To prepare for this test, you will need to avoid resetting any equipment.  (Boxes, modems, routers) must not be rebooted for at least six hours prior to your service call.  Equipment reboots will reset the error codes back to zero.  Your tech when he comes out needs to see those error codes to get an accurate signal reading.

If the lines, signals, and wiring are good, the tech will than need to replace the box.

Satch

Participant

And what do they charge for this testing?

We have a second box, and it is performing normally.

Trusted Helper

@Tollerowner wrote:

And what do they charge for this testing?

We have a second box, and it is performing normally.

Nothing, (No charge.)

Any service call where rented Spectrum equipment is not working right is free. The only time that you would be charged for a truck roll would be to have Spectrum look at any equipment that you do not rent from them. If you ever rent any equipment from Spectrum and the tech updates it, and somehow you get a charge on your bill, call Spectrum and let them know that you got charged and they will take it off the bill. Processing should take between 5-10 business days. But the charges should not happen, as long as it is Spectrum's equipment and not your own that is a problem.

Not rebooting for six hours of any equipment is a tech recommendation to get an accurate signal reading of your equipment. The tech will come out and check the signals on your box, outside and inside. The readings he gets will tell him if you have a bad line, tap, or wiring issue. He will do the updates if needed and check the box if the lines or wiring has been updated.

If his signal meter shows that all lines and wiring are within proper ranges, you will need to swap the box and the tech will do that. What is the make and model of the box you have now that is working well? What's the make and model of the box where the channels are strange?

Report back to let us know how your service call went!

Satch

Participant

Box that works is a Spectrum 101-T.  Goofy box is a Arris DCX3200.

No difference in how they are wired.

Trusted Helper

@Tollerowner wrote:

Box that works is a Spectrum 101-T.  Goofy box is a Arris DCX3200.

No difference in how they are wired.

Hi Toller,

Still get your signals checked out by a tech following my above recommendations.  It will be free.  Either the Arris is going bad, or your signals to the Arris are bad.  You need a tech dispatched.

Satch

Helper

I would be curious to know what happens if you were to swap the two boxes. Does the Arris now work as it should and the Spectrum box show the symptoms you described?

Participant

I worked the nerve to call them (free service calls require hours of arguing to waive the fee, and I didn't want to go through that) and found it was that my set up had gotten off "all channels".  That is weird because I have never used "guide", let along hitting it twice to get to "settings", but all is well.

Lead Moderator

If there is a problem with our services, our equipment, our network there is no 

charge for a service call.

If the issue is with your TV for instance or with your computer there would be a 

charge.

You do not need to call in, you can contact us via Social Media at: 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums