Spectator

Backup battery for TC8717T

My phone service was activated on May 23,2017. I had ordered a backup battery and was told I would receive the battery in a few days.  I did not receive it.  I place a order on July 5 and received a email on July7 stating the order was complete and would be shipped in 3 to 5 days.  I never received it.  I called Spectrum today and they could not explain why it was never shipped and maybe I should try to go the Spectrum store to get it.. No help at all.  Since I stated I was unhappy, the customer rep credited my  account $21.40.  This makes no sense at all.  

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Backup battery for TC8717T

The battery doesn't do you any good if there's an amplifier before the modem that loses power.

Could be in house or out on the street somewhere.

Only provides power if the modem loses AC power.

As for shipping, you'd need to contact TWC directly, this is peer to peer support.

Buy one on Amazon....

Spectator

The only phone I have is the landline. That is why I wanted the battery backup.  If the power is out I may need to make a phone call.

Established Sharer

Is there a Spectrum store near you? I highly recommend them as they are usually more knowledgable than the reps on the phone or chat...at least in my experience.

Expert

If the power is out in your neighborhood, and the line amps aren't powered, your modem battery won't do you any good.

Spectator

Went to the Spectrum store.  They do not carry the battery and can not put in a order for one.  

No luck on Amazon. They had a battery that some customers said look like it, but could  not get a reply when several people asked if it would fit the TC8717T.  No luck on EBay or the technacolor site.  I guess I drop the issue and live with out it...................

Expert

Put a long runtime UPS on the modem, might get an hour on one if all that's plugged into it is the 8717

But it still doesn't help if the cable power is lost outside  and it's not battery backed up...

That unit is AC input only and won't run on an ext 12vdc battery backed Belkin ps.

I don't see any mention of battery availability either. Find a manual that mentions battery for it and post the link here...

I don't like anything about technicolor due to their total lack of published info, user manuals and detailed performance specs...

Sorry.

Spectrum Employee

bunkywayne wrote:

Went to the Spectrum store.  They do not carry the battery and can not put in a order for one.  

No luck on Amazon. They had a battery that some customers said look like it, but could  not get a reply when several people asked if it would fit the TC8717T.  No luck on EBay or the technacolor site.  I guess I drop the issue and live with out it...................

It needs to be EZ Connect Mailed-Out.  Retail store don't stock those, although I'm suprised they didn't just put an order in there.  Please contact a forum moderator with your account info, I personally wouldn't have access to your account to order one.  There's supposed to be a way for customers to order one, yes.  It's an FCC thing if I'm not mistaken.

That said... honestly?  I prefer a UPS/BatteryBackup anyways.  And I practice do what I preach.  I don't use home phone, but my internet modem is on a UPS/BatteryBackup and doesn't go offine unless I actually shut it down, even when power in the house goes out.  As long as it's back up in a few hours, I'm good.  Plus a UPS helps protect against spikes/surges on the AC power, which a battery for the modem alone will not.  Just don't run the coax through the battery backup, because that just messes up the communications signal on the coax.

reds91185 wrote:

Is there a Spectrum store near you? I highly recommend them as they are usually more knowledgable than the reps on the phone or chat...at least in my experience.

Unless it comes to troubleshooting. Smiley Wink (i.e.: sometimes all that's wrong is the TV is on the wrong input, customer hasn't been connected to the tap yet, or a troublecall is misused for installation work such as installing or activating outlets that takes significantly more time to accomplish than the hour or two alotted for a troublecall)

MsRaye wrote:

If the power is out in your neighborhood, and the line amps aren't powered, your modem battery won't do you any good.

This info is fairly outdated... Many areas now have a "alpha box" (as it's nicknamed) which powers the node and actives (amps & LEs) in the event of a power outage and it typically has 2 car-type batteries and a natural-gas line feed which powers a mini-generator.   Anything can break though, and the backup generators & batteries have to be checked up on & maintenanced periodically.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.