Newcomer

Arris DVR box rebooting

My dvr box constantly reboots. Especially if I am watching a show I recorded. I might get half way thru a movie and this piece of junk will shut off and reboot. And as if that wasn't enough torment I then have to fast forward all the way to where I was. I swear I am going to take a hammer to thus thing soon. Before I do... any suggestions?
6 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: Arris DVR box rebooting

3 reboots in less than 30 minutes. I am so close to pulling the plug on Time Warner's service. They keep increasing my bill but the service gets worse.
N/A

Same problem here. I pay way to much to watch the box reboot. Awful frustrating to try and watch a football game.
Trusted Helper

foe2379 wrote:
My dvr box constantly reboots. Especially if I am watching a show I recorded. I might get half way thru a movie and this piece of junk will shut off and reboot. And as if that wasn't enough torment I then have to fast forward all the way to where I was. I swear I am going to take a hammer to thus thing soon. Before I do... any suggestions?

A few years ago,

I had a Cisco that would reboot every three hours or so. Had a tech out and he said that excessive rebooting is usually the result of a bad box.  I asked about signal levels.  He said only if your signal levels were really low would a box reboot excessively.  He checked ours and they were fine.  New box solved the issue.

I would get a tech out to check this rebooting issue..  A new box should only reboot once upon installation, and than you should be fine.  You could also go to your local Spectrum store to swap out the box.  I would get a tech out just to check your signals and drop line as well.

Remember with a new box the following:

1.) If you have Phone Service from Spectrum, Caller ID on TV may take up to 24 hours to activate.

2.) Mobile services for the box like Spectrum TV, and Remote DVR Manager will take between 48-72 hours to activate.

3.) A pixilated picture is usually the result of a signal or line issue, almost never the box.

Get a tech visit scheduled.

Satch

Expert

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages... if there's signal issues they'll affect cable boxes and dvr's as well and the modem is the only item that shows real history.

Where is thye cable box in relation to the modem?

Are their open splitter ports?

are all connectors shiny and a tad more than finger tight?

Is the dvr excessively warm?

it needs 2-3 " of clear space for ventillation...

Is it actually shgutting off?

Newcomer

I was hoping to avoid having to pay some tech guy to come out and tell me he can't replicate the problem so there's nothing he can do (that's what happenedd last time)... not to mention the time I will have to miss from work, but maybe that is what I will have to do.  I do get a pixilated picture some times, especially on certain channels, and I've noticed my internet modem seems to be losing connection more lately than before.  

The internet modem is in a bedroom and the DVR box is in my living room on a shelf below the TV.  There's plenty of room for air movement around the DVR, and I've not noticed the box getting overly warm.  As for splitters, the line comes into my house and into a 3-way splitter.  Currently two of the cable wires aren't connected to a TV because I've not paid the ransom to get cable boxes for those TV's yet (since we can no longer hook the cable to the TV directly).  It's been this way long before the problem started, but ever since Spectrum switched their service to requiring boxes I've had the issue with my DVR happen more frequently, so maybe this is part of the issue... although the rebooting really seems to occur more when I am watching something I've recorded, or while I am recording something.

Not sure how to "Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages".

Trusted Helper

foe2379 wrote:

I was hoping to avoid having to pay some tech guy to come out and tell me he can't replicate the problem so there's nothing he can do (that's what happenedd last time)... not to mention the time I will have to miss from work, but maybe that is what I will have to do.  I do get a pixilated picture some times, especially on certain channels, and I've noticed my internet modem seems to be losing connection more lately than before.  

The internet modem is in a bedroom and the DVR box is in my living room on a shelf below the TV.  There's plenty of room for air movement around the DVR, and I've not noticed the box getting overly warm.  As for splitters, the line comes into my house and into a 3-way splitter.  Currently two of the cable wires aren't connected to a TV because I've not paid the ransom to get cable boxes for those TV's yet (since we can no longer hook the cable to the TV directly).  It's been this way long before the problem started, but ever since Spectrum switched their service to requiring boxes I've had the issue with my DVR happen more frequently, so maybe this is part of the issue... although the rebooting really seems to occur more when I am watching something I've recorded, or while I am recording something.

Not sure how to "Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages".

Sup?

I do know that splitters can reduce signal strength and cause problems.  I would disconnect the splitters if you can.   How long have you had the Arris box?  When did the excessive rebooting start?

Satch