ant
Established Sharer

Arris DCX3510M DVR rebooted by itself.

I had it on paused while watching tonight's recorded Simpsons and it was recording tonight's new Supergirl episode in the background. I unpaused to resume The Simpsons, and DVR froze before autorebooting by itself. This had happened in the past.

Did you guys have this rare problem before? It's funny that I just rebooted this DVR last night to avoid this issue. Do the newer DVRs still have this problem? https://imgur.com/a/QYXhZrl of its diagnostics' summary screen after it slowly rebooted and came back up.

--
Ant @ Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
6 REPLIES
Observer

Re: Arris DCX3510M DVR rebooted by itself.

i had a 6 tuner unit that got stuck in a boot loop then powered off then it started back up after a while then it burned out completely. you dont want the world box!!!

Trusted Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

i had a 6 tuner unit that got stuck in a boot loop then Antpowered off then it started back up after a while then it burned out completely. you dont want the world box!!!

Ant,

How old is this box? Why did you reboot last night? It is sad that the six tuners are being phased out. The World Boxes have no clock, but run Navigator Guide well. Spectrum Guide, not so well. If it happens again, go to the Spectrum Office and get another box with a clock.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

@Satch wrote:

@krel_2018 wrote:

i had a 6 tuner unit that got stuck in a boot loop then Antpowered off then it started back up after a while then it burned out completely. you dont want the world box!!!

Ant,

How old is this box? Why did you reboot last night? It is sad that the six tuners are being phased out. The World Boxes have no clock, but run Navigator Guide well. Spectrum Guide, not so well. If it happens again, go to the Spectrum Office and get another box with a clock.

Satch

Since 2014 IIRC, but this problem had been there for that long too. Just rare. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem too.

--
Ant @ Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Trusted Helper

Sup Ant?

You have some choices, but the they involve some sacrifices:

1.) Swap out the box- But you could wind up with a World Box (No clock) and Spectrum Guide on it, which has some bugs.  I keep forgetting, you are in the LA area right?  You will be upped to four tuners.  If your box is a World Box.  I wish you could get a six tuner Cisco 9865 like I have!  I love that box!

2.) You could get a World Box with Navigator, which has four tuners, but you don't want a  World Box!

I would recommend option #3 or #4.

3.) If the rebooting is rare like once a month, probably live with it.

4.) If the rebooting is more than twice a month to weekley you might want to get your signals and lines checked out.  Don't reboot anything for six hours before your service call so that the tech can get an accurate reading  of the error codes.  Just tell him that you don't want a World Box.  It SEEMS that the techs have clock boxes on their trucks more so than at Spectrum offices.

I had an Arris once that would not stop rebooting, but it was the six-tuner 3600-M.  I also have had your model 3510-M with no issues,  I would consider #3 or #4 for your options.  You can also just go to a Spectrum office and see what they have.  Oh, man, if they still have a six-tuner Cisco 9865, grab it!

Listen, the counter rep may say that it only has two tuners, but I know people that brought them home, activated them, and it shows all six in Navigator's device settings.

Ant, how often does your Arris 3510-M reboot?

Satch

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Ant,

You should not have to reboot once a week.  Your response over at DSL Reports about having the box only reboot itself every other month, indicates a signal issue, I can't remember the last time that I rebooted my box. You should be going for months without a reboot. You have a signal issue. Call for a signal and drop line test. No new box will ever solve a signal issue.

Tech needs to check inside and outside wiring as well as the drop and your main tap. Specify this in the work order when you call. Don't reboot anything for six hours prior to your visit. (applies to boxes, modems, and routers.) I am convinced that your box is fine. Tell the tech you don't want to swap it out. The tech needs to see the error codes, and a reboot of the equipment will reset the error codes to zero. This applies to boxes, modems, and routers.

You need your signals, lines, and wiring checked. Because the reboots are so infrequent there is nothing wrong with your box. My suspicion is that you are getting drops every few months forcing the box to reboot. If this WAS the box, you would face daily to weekly rebooting.

Set up that signal and drop line test. Post back how it goes, following the above suggestions.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Sup Ant?

I would still set up the signal/drop line test. A tech can do a lot more onsite than we can. In over thirty years of cable service, I very rarely even have to have a tech. But when I do, with the exception of maybe two, they have been great!

And of course, the six hours with no rebooting of equipment is important before your service call. This may be a very infrequent thing, but it is there, and you want to repair it before it gets worse. The call's free. There's nothing wrong with Ant's box like I said. If Ant has any splitters, they should also be removed, as they can interfere with signal strength. A signal booster just amps the level. It doesn't solve the root of the problem. It's like taking antacids for heartburn that keeps coming back. Sure, they help the discomfort of heartburn, but they don't solve the problem if it keeps coming back. Your doctor needs to determine that.

That's why Ant needs his signals, wiring, and main tap checked. This could be something further down in his node from some 30-year old wiring that has corrosion, and it gets worse every time it rains. Than, after three months, it gets bad enough forcing a reboot of the box. But it's not REALLY bad, there's just something there that isn't right. I would also recommend not rebooting once a week. This will affect signal monitoring if you set that up with Spectrum.

Ant, you can also ask Spectrum to set up free signal monitoring on your equipment. You could set that up for ninety days. But there is something happening that is recurring with lines or wiring inside or outside your home that isn't quite right. Spectrum might not find it right away. But get a tech out to investigate everything.

Satch