Highlighted
Rookie

Are digital adapters necessary for a TV with built in digital tuner?

Are digital adapters necessary for a TV with built in digital tuner?  My understanding from what I've read on the TWC/Spectrum site is that the digital adapters only convert the signal from digital to analog so I don't see why someone with a digital set couldn't just plug cable straight into the tv and allow it to scan for digital channels once the 'all digital conversion' takes place towards the end of this month.  I cannot find an answer to this anywhere on the TWC/Spectrum site.

11 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Are digital adapters necessary for a TV with built in digital tuner?

@moparamwrote:

Are digital adapters necessary for a TV with built in digital tuner?  My understanding from what I've read on the TWC/Spectrum site is that the digital adapters only convert the signal from digital to analog so I don't see why someone with a digital set couldn't just plug cable straight into the tv and allow it to scan for digital channels once the 'all digital conversion' takes place towards the end of this month.  I cannot find an answer to this anywhere on the TWC/Spectrum site.

Yes, if your area sends encrypted signals (which most now do) you'll need an actual set top box or a CableCard device. You can also use a Roku or Xbox One to use the Spectrum TV app on that tv (with some caveats).

Spectrum Employee

Yes, to echo red in the previous reply, with several very infrequent exceptions.

All digital networks will require some form of Set-top or Setback box, regardless of the television's independent specs or capabilites.
There are secondary options, like a Roku or Spectrum TV app that can also perform part of these duties, but commonly can only be used in the home. These apps do not work to their full capability when you leave home and take your device abroad, like a phone or tablet.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Established Sharer

"Readers Digest Condensed Version:" The receiver converts the digitally encrypted channel content of the basic service tier programming which was formerly being sent over the cable as old analog into HD broadcast format.   If you currently subscribe to a higher programming tier, those signals are already in the new format.  You can get one basic box per Spectrum cable account at no cost for the first 12 months while you figure out your future options.  

MORE DETAILS:

I live in an area that is set to switch over to full digital early Wednesday morning Apr 10.  The 3/28 letter that I received from Spectrum states "You will be required to have a digital receiver on each TV in your home by April 10, 2018"  and "Any customer who subscribes to TV service and connects their cable line directly into the back of their TV will lose picture on all channels."

Then reading further down the page, "If you have an existing set-top-box, digital transport adaptor (DTA), or retail device with a CableCARD on each TV are watching, you should be unaffected by this change." 

The required new box is being called a Spectrum digital receiver, NOT a converter or adaptor.   There is no statement that TV sets with digital tuners will not need the receiver unit. 

Rookie

karlbeckman let me know after your conversion on the 10th if you have a set with a digital tuner built in whether it still gets signal or not without a settop box/digital adapter, etc.

Rookie

My area converted on 4/3 and all that's left plugging straight in is an all digital message on analog 2, the all digital information on a digital channel, and the on demand preview channel on another digital channel.
Newcomer

Even with a QAM built in tuner in your TV you will still require a Set Top Box of some kind.  Spectrum is switching to IPTV.

If you search the FAQ's for "ClearQAM" you should find their doc's on this.   I pasted the documentation below.

From the FAQ:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-tv/digitalcon/my-tv-is-connected-to-an-ip-devic...

My TV is connected to a retail IP device that contains a ClearQAM tuner. Will I still be able to view the TV channels following encryption?

You will need to take one of the following actions to continue viewing TV channels. You can choose to order a Digital Adapter and connect it directly to the TV (not through the retail IP device with ClearQAM tuner). In addition, we have an alternate solution which will connect to devices that meet the following technical compatibility requirements:

• Device must have both a ClearQAM tuner and IP network interface.
  • Device must support the following technical standards/specifications:
    • DLNA®
    • Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) over IP, which is licensed by the Digital Transmission Licensing Administrator (“DTLA”)
    • SCTE 18, Emergency Alert Messaging, published as ANSI/CEA Standard, Emergency Alert Messaging for Cable, ANSI J-STD-42-B (CEA-814-B), October 2013.

We will update this information as we become aware of compatible products.

Note: In Texas and the Midwest, this information applies only to customers in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Kansas City.

Helper

@kms-loukywrote:

Spectrum is switching to IPTV.

This is not an accurate statement. While IPTV is the basis for the Spectrum TV app and online streaming services (and AT&T U-Verse), traditional cable is still how the majority of customers receive their content.

The switch to all digital and encrypted digital means that customers can no longer direct connect the tv to the outlet without a set top box. Alternatives are available, such as CableCard devices like TiVo or Roku and Xbox One devices streaming the app.

Rookie

Just a comment: the decision to make TV all digital and require converters will cause the flowering of antennas from the rooftops! No free market purchase for coverters ... where are the regulators?

Helper

Doubtful. Most of the country has been all digital and encrypted for quite some time, including mine, and I don’t notice any more antennas than I did before.