Rookie

AUX button (not power button) on TWC remote turns on amplifier

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm running into a strange issue with my TWC UR5U-8780L-TWC remote and Yamaha RX-V1000 amplifier. I've successfully programmed the remote to operate the amp. The problem is that pressing the "AUX" button on the remote turns on the amplifier. The expected workflow for turning on the amp is hitting AUX, then POWER. This is how the remote behaves with both my cable box and TV.

This behavior causes a problem when using the SYSTEM ON/OFF button. The remote will cycle through CBL, TV, and AUX. More specifically, the remote simulates hitting buttons in this order:

1. CBL
  2. Power
  3. TV
  4. Power
  5. AUX
  6. Power

Because of the issue with the AUX button, my amp turns on at step 5 and turns off immediately at step 6.

I should note that hitting AUX with the amp off turns it on. Hitting AUX with the amp on does not turn the amp off.

Any idea why my AUX button is functioning as a power on button? How can I fix this?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: AUX button (not power button) on TWC remote turns on amplifier

[ Edited ]

Somehow you managed to reprogram the aux button for a single function or created a macro on it. The only way I know of fixing this is to go thru the programming sequence and change that button to another device code that you don't have a device on like for a cd player or tv code.

See if that removes the power function from it.

Then if aux is for the amp, reprogram it's code, see if it occiurs again

Rookie

Thanks for the response. I reprogrammed the button to another device, then reprogrammed it for my amplifier. No change in behavior. This is the second TWC remote to exhibit this problem. I replaced my last remote because I thought it was defective.

I'm using Yamaha code 205. Code 098 was the only other code that would turn the device on and off, but it doesn't work for volume control.

Any other ideas?

Newcomer

I'm running into the same problem. When the "system power" is pressed I noticed each component programmed is hit twice...in other words the light blinks twice for cable, TV and aux. I'm assuming they've set the remote up to do this to ensure the devices have plenty of opportunity to either turn off or on. Unfortunately my amplifier (Yamaha as well) is sensitive to the signal and turns on and immediately off due to the two power hits. I've just taken the amp out of the system power list and turn it on and off separately.
Newcomer

The problem you have is with the amp not the remote.  Go to setup in the amp under HDMI control.  Turn it off.