Newcomer

3rd Party DVD Player With Digital Set-Top Box

Hello, I have just gotten the Spectrum digital set-top box that Spectrum is now mandating for all TV customers. Previously I had the coax cable plugged into a 3rd-party DVD recorder/player (a Panasonic model) that then connected into my digital TV. I would record and/or play TV broadcasts with it, plus play my collection of DVD movies with the player.

Can I still use my DVD recorder/player with the addition of the set-top digital box? The connection instructions do not provide options for any other device to be connected with my TV and set-top box. Thanks for any help.

9 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: 3rd Party DVD Player With Digital Set-Top Box

@Lacenewrote:

Hello, I have just gotten the Spectrum digital set-top box that Spectrum is now mandating for all TV customers. Previously I had the coax cable plugged into a 3rd-party DVD recorder/player (a Panasonic model) that then connected into my digital TV. I would record and/or play TV broadcasts with it, plus play my collection of DVD movies with the player.

Can I still use my DVD recorder/player with the addition of the set-top digital box? The connection instructions do not provide options for any other device to be connected with my TV and set-top box. Thanks for any help.

Without knowing what types of connections are available on the back of the Sprectrum box as well as what input connections your DVD recorder / player has, we cannot answer your questions.

If the Spectrum box supports 480i SD over composite video (3-RCA cables), and your DVD recorder supports that input, then you could connect your DVD Recorder that way.  The only caveat is the box must be tuned to the channel you are recording, and any on-screen graphics generated by the Spectrum box will be captured by your DVD Recorder.

In addition, what types of connections are provided on your television?  Your DVD Recorder output?

Newcomer

Thanks for your reply, dstoffa. My TV is a digital flat screen TV that has a coax tuner built in. It has input connections for HDMI, component, composite, and s-video options. The Spectrum digital receiver box is brand new - still in its plastic wrap - and has "Spectrum101" on the top. It is a different model than the accompanying instructional that was included with it, as the instructional shows a receiver with multiple connection options, but the actual box I got appears to only have HDMI as the available connection option for my TV.

My Panasonic DVD recorder/player is a newer version. Like my TV, it supports HDMI, component, composite, s-video. It looks like the receiver box in hand only has the RF in, and a HDMI out, for video. It also has some RCA and optical out for audio only.

Newcomer

OK, here's what I found out: the instructional manual that came with the Spectrum101 represents an older digital receiver that was replaced by the 101 model. The 101 model has about 1/3 to 1/2 the number of connection options on the back - mostly due to it being a smaller form factor model, which I suppose customers wanted a smaller model.

So with the new model, there really is no way I can now have the TV broadcast signal go through my DVD recorder/player, like i had it for years with straight cable hook-up to my digital TV. I can connect the DVD via HDMI to the 2nd connection, and hook the digital box via its HDMI out to the 1st input on my TV, and watch movies with my DVD device that way, but I no longer can record television broadcasts with my DVD recorder/player.

So it takes away some functionality that I enjoyed with my TV viewing, but I guess there's nothing I can do about that in the meantime. I will consider my options going forward, and decide what to do then. Thanks for all help in this case.

Proven Sharer

Your only option would be to get a different box which supports the connections you need. Be advised that they may not have a high def box that has both hdmi output along with an analog output.

You can call and ask.
Spectrum Employee

Hello Lacene,

So, yes, you are still able to use your TV with your DVD player or VCR. It sounds like you have an older TV that may only have a Coaxial or RCA/Composite input, in which case your televison may not have enough inputs to connect both a cable box and VCR/DVR player at the same time.

This can be remedied by replacing the television, getting another type of cord that will allow seperate inputs to that television if applicable, or simply changing the cords in the tv whenever you wish to switch devices manually.

Without the ability to see your setup, we can only assume your situation, and anything specific would require further assistance onsite.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Newcomer

Hi Cxthulu, as I posted above, the issue is the receiver box only has one single video output option which is the HDMI out, while my DVR only has a HDMI out itself, with no HDMI in. The DVR has multiple other video-in connection options, but the receiver box only has the one video-out option. My TV is pretty new and has multiple HDMI inputs (3 in fact), plus all other video input options as well. The biggest bottleneck here, is the Spectrum receiver box with its single video out option, so while I can connect both the receiver box AND the DVR individually to my TV, and use separate inputs from them independently, I cannot run the TV signal from the receiver box through the DVR into my TV...

Spectrum Employee

I understand what you are saying now, and that is the correct setup.

In short, this is how the television and its services are supposed to be connected by design. The boxes are intended to connect via coax to the wall, and direct to the TV using the HDMI, and not routed through another device. It is possible to connect it to things like XboxOne, or a DVD player that accepts HDMI in, in general these are not things that typically exist in the current consumer landscape.

Spectrum does offer the services of a DVR, but it incurrs the monthly charge to rent the dvr of course.

And there are DVD players and DVD recorders that accept HDMI in, however there are known compatibility issues with them being used, and are not covered as far as any Service related service issues since they are not provided by the company. Many times, this is due to HDCP protocols. An article by cnet actually summarizes this point quite well, Included here.

An Excerpt from the article actually covers the "why" here, and the difference between a legacy Analog recorder like the one you are describing.

Not surprisingly, the dearth of HDMI inputs on recording devices is by design. The HDMI specification includes a copy-protection scheme known as High-Definition Copy Protection. So to use HDMI (and get the snazzy HDMI certification logo on your device), manufacturers need to ensure that their products are HDCP-compliant. That pretty much means that HDMI inputs are limited to display devices (TVs) and repeaters (AV receivers and switchers). Those repeaters are so-called "passthrough" devices--they can do little more than pass the HD video signal onto the next device (invariably, the TV). But, by definition, that HDCP-encoded video signal is designed to be unrecordable. That's why there are no recorders with an HDMI input. (You won't find HDMI inputs on Slingbox products for the same reason.)

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Newcomer

I too have been looking for some way to connect my DVD/DVR.  My DVD/DVR is a Magnavox,  otherwise, my story is the same.  One possibility I am concidering  is an  hdmi to coaxico converter,  along with an hdmi splitter. Could you please advise me on whether this is likely to  work . Thank you 

Helper

@Auntemy85wrote:

I too have been looking for some way to connect my DVD/DVR.  My DVD/DVR is a Magnavox,  otherwise, my story is the same.  One possibility I am concidering  is an  hdmi to coaxico converter,  along with an hdmi splitter. Could you please advise me on whether this is likely to  work . Thank you 

It might or it might not...HDCP may prevent this from working as you would like. Recording content on a non-Spectrum / non-CableCard device presents problems.