Observer

2 RF remotes?

New customer...   chatting with Spectrum support, the indicate that two RF remotes should work, but when I setup one remote the other one stops working.   Is there some magic to pairing TWO RF remotes with the Spectrum 210 DVR?

8 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: 2 RF remotes?

@tomb73 wrote:

New customer...   chatting with Spectrum support, the indicate that two RF remotes should work, but when I setup one remote the other one stops working.   Is there some magic to pairing TWO RF remotes with the Spectrum 210 DVR?

Hi Tom B,

Are both rented remotes from Spectrum?  Why do you need two remotes?  How many rented boxes and TV's are in the home? 

Satch

Observer

Yes, both remotes came from Spectrum.    We need two remotes because my wife and I don't sit too close together where we watch, and sometimes she controls things and sometime I control things.    Have had 2 remotes for as long as we have had Cable/DVR capability.  We only have one DVR for one television.     The other locations in the house where we watch are all Roku driven.

Trusted Helper

@tomb73 wrote:

Yes, both remotes came from Spectrum.    We need two remotes because my wife and I don't sit too close together where we watch, and sometimes she controls things and sometime I control things.    Have had 2 remotes for as long as we have had Cable/DVR capability.  We only have one DVR for one television.     The other locations in the house where we watch are all Roku driven.

Tomb,

You should be able to program each one, just make sure that during the programing process that you have one in a drawer that you are not progrmaing.  Than program the other one with the other remote hidden.  After that, both remotes should work fine.

Very strange that one stops working when the other one starts working.  Anybody have any added thoughts on this?

Satch

Observer

Thanks for the suggestion, Satch.    Tried getting it to the 'pair' spot, then taking the already programmed remote to another room in the house (kitchen, put it into the dishwasher), but that made no difference.  When I got the 'already programmed' remote out, it no longer worked but the one I had just paired did...    Am not so certain that the Spectrum 210 actually supports two   RF remotes...    Would be delighted if I was wrong.     The Spectrum 'chat' support was also certain two would work.

Any other thoughts?    

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@tomb73 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, Satch.    Tried getting it to the 'pair' spot, then taking the already programmed remote to another room in the house (kitchen, put it into the dishwasher), but that made no difference.  When I got the 'already programmed' remote out, it no longer worked but the one I had just paired did...    Am not so certain that the Spectrum 210 actually supports two   RF remotes...    Would be delighted if I was wrong.     The Spectrum 'chat' support was also certain two would work.

Any other thoughts?    

Yes,

The chat responses are very scripted, and are known to give wrong information.  You need to get a tech out who hopefully knows what he is doing and explain this to him,  Another remote swap won't work until  we find out what the problem is involving the remote.

Don't just have Spectrum send you another remote, you need a tech.  Request a signal and drop line test on the work order,  To prepare for this test, avoid resetting any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours so that the tech can take a signal reading.

There might be some crazy crap with these new boxes and two remotes at once.  Post back and tell us what he says.  What is the model number of these remotes?  When one "Stops" working, describe further what that means.  Do you mean that the commands to the box no longer work on the remote that stops working?  Do you mean that the lights on the remote don't work?  Do you mean that the TV on/off functionality does not work?

Get a tech out and your signal and drop line test done and post back.

Satch

Observer

The remotes are both the Spectrum remote.    I believe this is the URC-1160.   The STB has Spectrum 210 on the cover, but the 'equipment' information identifies it as an Arris 210.    One of the remotes will control the STB.   When I pair the other remote, then the 'controlling' remote stops 'controlling' and the other remote begins to work for STB commands.      We have another box that does TV and other controls (Beosystem 3), so will not be using the Spectrum remote for TV on/off functionality.    The now 'non controlling' remote will light up when buttons are pushed, but the STB will not respond to any of its commands.   

Have also been having 'guide not available' problems, sporadically (new customer, so probably a half dozen times in the past two days), so have been trying the STB reset thing to try to resolve that, but it seems to not really correct the problem for long.  Will give the support number a call tomorrow afternoon to talk it over and see what the signal test shows.

Thanks for the info.

Spectrum Employee

You cannot pair 2 RF remotes to the same 2.0 box - the box only pairs to a single frequency and the remote is locked in on that frequency. You should be able to use both remotes on the traditional IR setting without issue.

Observer

I suspected as much.    Would it work if we had the previous DVR/STB?