Observer

Why can't we use our own telephony modem?

...or at least an analog telephone adapter. Alternatively, I'll accept a phone modem without wi-fi. Any of those options work for me, and I'm not allowed to use any of those methods. Why?

10 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Why can't we use our own telephony modem?

They should supply a free phone modem separate from the internet/wifi one. I suspect you can't use your own because telephone service is a lifeline and they can't service however many brands of modems are available. If you pickup a phone modem for free, just split it off a coax and have them activate it. My phone number was ported from AT&T to TWC a few years back and that's a little more complicated.

Expert

You can use a majick jack, skype or any sort of IP based phone after the modem.

TWC's phone service requires you to use their modem

Observer

MsRaye, I don't want their modem. I have my own. I don't want a useless wi-fi signal interfering with mine coming from the TWC modem that neither I nor them can shut off.

Observer

arvy, that's exactly what I'm doing. I don't want that. I want a reasonable solution, ie: a recommended replacement telephony modem. Or any of my other suggestions.

Contributor

Split the incomng line with a 2 way splitter.  One output goes to the phone modem, the other to the data modem.

For TWC telephone, you will need to use a TWC modem.  There is no charge for this modem when used only for telephone.  The modem used for the phone may or may not have WIFI built into the the internet side, but you are not using that anyway - it will not be provisioned and if it does have WIFI capability it will not be activated. 

Then you can connect your own data modem and router for internet access. 

Expert

The telephone modem will not have any internet connectivity so the wireless should be dead.

Observer

Yes, ddeerrffwe've covered all of that. Yes, the wi-fi is active on my TWC-provided phone modem.ddeerrff

Observer

MsRaye, it is not dead, and it can't be turned off.

Expert

stick an ethernet cable on it, and turn it off.