Rookie

Voicemail indicator light

The Phone FAQ for "how do I know if i have Voicemail messages" says "..you will hear a stutter tone... Additionally, If your phone has a Voicemail indicator light, it will light up when you have new messages."  How do you ge the light to go out?  With previous carrier (Cinti-Bell) it would go out about 5 seconds after you had picked up your messages.  There clearly was a signal sent on the ohone line that did this.  With Spectrum there doesn't seem to be such a signal.  I've called tech support and they've tried rebooting the modem, and had me unplug the phone for a minute or so.  But to no avail.  The "Reference Manual" shows the main Menu options as including the star key as an exit, but the current system says "that's an invalid choice" or something when you try it.  You have to just hanup.  I'm wondering if that is preventing some internal check in the voicemail system from detecting that a "Message-waiting-light-off signal  needs to be transmitted.  I can't see any option to turn it off manually (Cinti-Bell had something like *79 that you could use to trigger it manually.  Anybody know a Spectrum code for that?

6 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Voicemail indicator light

@GaryS

We apologize for any service issues.  I've included a link to Voicemail Support that you may find helpful.  I did not find a code available for an indicator light.   We would suggest contacting the phone manufacturer for additional support with this feature.   

Rookie

Thanks for the link, it too shows that you should be able to issue an asterisk to Exit the Main menu, but that isn't allowed.  I also find it strange that it says to use *99 to access voice-mail but that doesn't work for me, I have to use *98.

Finally, I appreciate the suggestion to contact the phone manufacturer, but I'm looking for a standard signal to be sent from your system.  I've had phones and other message indicating devices like this for years that have worked fine with  voicemail from other providers.  I could lookup the details as easily as you, but I'm certain that it's a standard protocol just like caller-ID. Your documentation indicates that you can activate the message-waiting light, it seems reasonable that it should also handle turning it off once the message has been retieved, otherwise the light will be on all the while and of no value.  Your developers must appreciate this.  Yes, I'm a developer myself, but obviously can't control your system.

Lead Moderator

@GaryS

Hi!   I have reviewed the information at that link. I am not finding reference to *99 only *98. If you will please direct me to the area where you are seeing that I would like to get that in for review.  It has always been *98 and I would like to make sure that is corrected. 

Thank you!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

look at Step 1 of this link: Or many other entries on the same page that mention *99

https://www.spectrum.net/support/voice/enhanced-voicemail-help/

Hmm just for fun I decided to open the link in a different browser and I got a message asking for my zip code stating that it was routing me to a site based upon my zip code (45242) that site has a completely different layout but shows *98 as the code.  It looks like what you are told is dependent upon where you are located which, in general, makes sense, but doesn't help unless it's clear to everybody, that the web site varies in some strange way with your location.

At the moment I have the following icon on the header of the page I'm referencing. The page with *99 doesn't have any such icon.

Lead Moderator

I am seeing *98

vm.JPGOr are you seeing something else?  This is the link where I am finding my information. 

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/phone/topics/voicemail-setup.html

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

I now see a page like that (now that I have changed my zip code) but previously I saw something xompletley different.  The only portion of it that I had captured was below.  Unfortunately it didn't capture the portion of the screen where the zip code would be displayed, but there was no zip code indicator there.  I have no way of getting back to it since I don't know which server I was being directed to at the time(the URL alone is aparently insufficient).  You will have to contact the web site developers for an explanation of how they segment queries of users from different locations to different servers for the same URL

This was what I was seeing when I originally clicked on the link provided by James_M.

I can understand them distributing requests to different servers to distribute the load on the servers, I find it heinous that you don't get the same content from each server for a given URL:

Pasted Graphic.tiff

Pasted Graphic 1.tiff