Newcomer

Using own modem but also have phone service

I bought one of the compatible modems to avoid the lease. But I also have phone service which needs to be connected to TWC modem. I won't be charged for the lease fee if the internet is coming from my modem, right?

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Using own modem but also have phone service

you buy a 2 wway splitter and 2 jumper cables. Hopefully you have good enough levels to handle the 3.5 dB of splitter loss. TWC won't charge you for the modem.

What modem are you buying and what speed are you paying for?

The 4x4 modems on the list (like sb 6121's and cmd31's)  are obsolete and should not be used for any tiers.  I'd also avoid the 8x4's

copy and paste the existings modem signal level page.

If the DS is lower than -5 dBmv or the upstream is higher than +47 dBmv, you're going to have problems with the additional splitters loss.

Newcomer

I know this is an older post but I'm considering the same thing (i.e. My own modem for internet and keeping the TWC for phone.)  Which modem would you suggest for me to purchase.  Thanks!

Community Manager

@Markythek

Here is a link to Purchase your Own Modem.  Be sure the approved speed matches the speed of your service.   Keep in mind that the approved speed can be different than the speed the modem is capable of achieving.  

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator