Newcomer

Phone lines

This may be a repeat question. I have an Arris TM804 installed and am paying for two lines. I connecgted one phone to the first jack and it can get lines one and two just fine. However, I have two phones and the second one can only be attached to the second jack which means it only accesses line 2. Is there any way to attach to phones to the modem so that both phones have access to both lines? Would a line splitter work to drive both phones off of jack one? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
4 REPLIES
Observer

Re: Phone lines

Yes the answer is a splitter on line one.  Two line phones use jack one which has four pins active. Jack two only has two pins active and will only support one line.  This is the way the modem is designed. Thus if you have two one line phones you can use jack one and two. If you have two line phones they have to use jack one. 

Proven Sharer

If both phones are two-line phones, and the splitter is capable of splitting two lines (i.e. four wires / two pair), then yes, you could install the splitter in jack 1 and the 2 two-line phones into each outlet of the splitter.

Are you attempting to make use of existing house wiring at all?

Newcomer

No, two straight phone lines from modem to phone, needed to save some money.
Observer

If you dig up the manual or look at the back of the Arris modem you will see the first phone jack is labeled Tel 1/2 ( not Tel 1 ) and the second jack is labeled simply Tel 2.  If you have a dual line phone ( a single phone that can support two lines) it will have one cable with four wires active, one pair for each line.  I believe this is what the OP was describing.  This phone would only work as a two line phone plugged into Tel 1/2. If plugged into Tel 2 he would only get line 2.  If I understand the OP correctly he has two of these dual line phones he wants to use.  Thus to get them both to work he would need a splitter for Tel 1/2 to plug them both in and get them both to support two lines.   Also as another commenter mentioned it would have to be a dual line splitter, not a cheapie one from your local discount store. 

This is is my reading of the original post. If I am wrong and the OP is still following he can clarify.