Highlighted
Newcomer

Number Porting - not as advertised!

I recently signed up for new TWC home phone service, under the impression (from the sales person) that I would be able to port my existing number currently with Vonage.  I received notice today that I can not, due to something called a rate center.  I gave two other numbers to potentially transfer, including my cell number, neither of which could be ported.  I can't seem to find this issue documented online, and have to think something can be done to bring an active phone number to TWC - Vonage seemed to do it without issue.  This has been extremely frustrating and seems like I was promised something that TW can not deliver on...what I was told is that only numbers within a particular geographic rate center can be ported, and that wireless and other rate center numbers may not be ported.  Doesn't make sense...

Appreciate any input/guidance. thanks

15 REPLIES

Re: Number Porting - not as advertised!

If you can please email our social media care team at twcable.help@twcable.com for further assistance.? -Stephanie

Valued Participant

Yes I don't feel TWC help knows anything about Home Phone I also was told I could port my number to TWC. I can not and we have Windstream Communications. They told me numbers on there end get ported all the time.

Spectrum Employee

Porting a phone number also depends on the rate center your account is located in, and the rate center your phone number belongs to.  The rate center of the number must match the rate center for your account.

You can use this site to determine what rate center your number belongs to.  You only need to enter the Area Code (NPA) and Prefix (NXX).  http://www.area-codes.com/default.asp

Any TWC agent with access to your account in the billing system should be able to tell you what rate center you're located in.

phc
Newcomer

NOT!  Told we could port our TWC number to new home... NOT.  Can't even get a freaking forwarding message on the old number.  Says, Disconnected.  Some real kind of Technology company... NOT.  Soon as I can figure out some other way... I will dump this sorry company.  Also would suggest you freaking train your agents!

Valued Participant

I agree the help TWC has is so bad they know nothing I was told my number can not be ported then the other said it could. Three weeks later got my number ported to TWC everything works as of now. The email going around in forums to get help is point less. I was told would get a call ASAP 4 days later I got on but you would need dog ears to here the guy I just hung up

Newcomer

Have to agree this sales pitch of porting numbers is a hoax.

I have Phone Power Voip system.  The number that was ported to PhonePower, 3 years ago,  TWC gave me when I originally signed up for TWC phone 7 years ago.

I am switching back this month to TWC phone and TWC CANNOT port the number back from Phone Power. 

I thought there would be a problem when  the TWC  list online didn't show Phone Power as a supplier.

Live and learn.  Do NOT assume you can get you number back even if TWC issued it in the first place!

DWW
Newcomer

Same problem for me today.  Trying to port a number from Vonage which I currently use at my same address.  TWC says they can't port it because of rate center issue.  Why that's not an issue for Vonage escapes reason.  So if I want their package, I have to change my 15 year phone number.  I'm thinking I'll just switch to DirecTV instead.  I'll cut my bill down and won't have to change my phone number.  I'll just leave it with Vonage who already offered for me to drop my bill to only $9 if I stayed with them. 

Three TWC tech support calls today and one call with Vonage to figure this all out. 

DWW
Newcomer

cuse165, how did you finally get your number ported?

DWW
Newcomer

According to what I read at http://www.npac.com/the-npac regarding rate centers and number porting there is no reason TWC shouldn't be able to port my number from Vonage.  Sounds like it just needs extra steps and they aren't doing that.