Highlighted
Rookie

Need Technical Information about how TWC Phone Works

Hello,

I have been googling, reading this forum, and watching all avaliable TWC install videos and it is still unclear to me how exactly TWC phone would work in my house. I would like to switch from the local phone company. I NEED the ability to use all the old phone jacks in the house with the phone that is plugged into them. I have 3 old wall phones that do not have a Coaxial near them at all, one is attached to an emergency pendant my grandmother uses in case she falls. I have TWC TV and have no intention to get internet. Would the TWC phone modem attach to a Coaxial and then back into the home Telephone jack system and enable all telephone jacks in the house? Thanks.

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Need Technical Information about how TWC Phone Works

Yes. All that needs to be done is the outside pots line connector needs to be unplugged in the outside network interface box. That isolates the phone modem from the outside line.

Youthen plug the modems line 1 phone jack into a phone outlet (making it an inlet)

If this is an apartment, all bets are off...

If you need to still have a POTS phone on a jack, the wiring needs to be isolated wherever all the lines are connected together. That can be a challenge especially if the wiring was looped thru the house, some jacks need to be rewired to the second pair. I wouldn't trust TWC to get that right f they'd even agree to try to do that

Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. So you are saying I may not have use of all the POTS phones in the house even if I unplug the outside line? This is a home that was built in 1950.

Expert

If there's an outside "network interface  and it has a RJ11 jumper in it, unplugging that isolates all the inside phones from the old pots  provider you had.

It should work.

Rookie

Thanks MsRaye for your help. I was able to take pictures of the box which is attached to the side of the house. Here are the two pictures:

Closed

Open

Would I just disconnect the wires on the red and green screws to disconnect the house from the phone company?

Thanks for your expert advice.

Expert

That one's nasty... no jumper, lol.

Correct, take off the whi/blu pair from the red/green screws, cut off the bare copper, make sure they don't touch.  That is relatively new 3 pair and it feeds to a block somewhere in the house that feeds all the jacks.

If you need to keep a phone on the existing landline, you'll need to isolate one jack and outside line wherever that block is, or use the whi/org (2nd pair) provided that it's connected.

The only issue is if you have an alarm system, The line has to loop thru the alarms dialler before it hits all the phones.

Cat Sad

Rookie

I have no need to keep an existing line with the phone company. I would port the single number over to TWC.

There is an alarm system in the house. I traced the tangle of phone wires all around the house and that alarm system is a hot mess of wires. However, the alarm system has been deactivated for 20 years, and we have no need of it currently. Do you feel the presence of the alarm system in the system will somehow not allow me to successfully switch from the phone company to TWC?

Expert

It might be a problem if it's still powered up and connected to the phone line.  It will go into "trouble" if it loses battery on the outside line side.

Is there an 8 pin modular jack near the alarm that it's connected to? it might break the connection between the outside line and inside phones, the jack will have that 3 pair cable from the outside demark on one side and the home phones on the other.

Browser

I have a question....my elderly neighbor has TWC cable for TV, does not  have, nor does she need, internet service.  I would assume TWC would supply a phone modem that is not active for home internet service and would not charge the customer for an internet connection, but wanted to be sure.  Her landline has been non operational for nearly a week and the phone company just says they are working on it, so she is considering switching to TWC phone.

Community Manager

iowndvc, 

You are correct, if a customer wants phone service only, we provide a phone modem that does not have the internet capablilities turned on.  There is no charge for the phone only modem (FCC regulations).  Often, bundling phone and TV together will result in an overall savings.  She can reach sales at 1-800-892-4357.  

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

James M.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator