Newcomer

CALL blocking is inadequate

Spectrum's call blocking is inadequate.  Spammers are easily spoofing your system by falsifying the incoming numbers, showing them to be within the local prefix.  When the number is blocked, they call the next day using a different number.  The Spectrum whitelist option is limited to 30 numbers and had been that way for years.  Time to expand the formware features.  On mobile equipment, programs like TRAPCALL solve this problem by identifying spammers more readily.  

5 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: CALL blocking is inadequate

@Robert52 wrote:

Spectrum's call blocking is inadequate.  Spammers are easily spoofing your system by falsifying the incoming numbers, showing them to be within the local prefix.  When the number is blocked, they call the next day using a different number.  The Spectrum whitelist option is limited to 30 numbers and had been that way for years.  Time to expand the formware features.  On mobile equipment, programs like TRAPCALL solve this problem by identifying spammers more readily.  

Robert,

It is, but you can make unwanted spam and telemarketer calls a thing of the past by signing up for Nomorrobo: (Free with Spectrum Service with Spectrum Phone.)

1.) Log in to Spectrum's "My Account." the same way you do at the forums

2.) Go to your Phone/Voice Services

3.) Under the Settings with Features and Options, turn on Nomorobo.  It should be under the "Peace and Quiet" setting.

4.) Follow the prompts and say "Yes" to turning on "Answer Anywhere." if prompted.

5.) Save the changes.

Now, Nomorrobo will screen your calls, and if a spammer, robocall, or telemarketer is on the line, the call is terminated after the first ring, (by the second ring at most) so that the caller can't leave a message.  We have had it activated for three years and only ONE telemarketer call got through!

Calls will still show if you have Caller ID on TV, but because they are dropped by Nomorobo after the first ring, you won't be bothered anymore by them.  I have had no need to use the manual call blocking since activating this service three years ago!  It's THAT great!

Note that calls from schools, doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies, and weather emergencies are always allowed.  Additionally, Nomorobo's website allows you to report phone numbers in the extremely rare case that a number that should be blocked is coming through, (Meaning that the Robocall/Telemarketer/ Spammer is able to leave a message.) or a call is being blocked that should be coming through.  Here is more information about the service:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Note that you only need to sign up once and can do that through Spectrum "My Account" service.  It's the easiest way, and would only need to do so again if you add a new phone number to your services, (second line) or change your existing number.

Satch

Rookie

What do you mean, using a Spectrum phone?  I have Spectrum service and have attempted to block unwanted calls, even putting in one particular number to block, and guess what? That number calls me every day, as it has for the past 3 years. Does it matter where you live, as to whether that call blocking service is functional? Also, why the different options there? Can you only choose one type of call to block?  Help! 

I called today to complain about the same issue.  It's ridiculous that you are limited to just 30 numbers (even with NoMoRobo mine is full) and learned that you can block "private" or "unknown caller" calls separately in the "block anonymous calls" section which will hold those kind of callers outside of the 30 call limit on the "unwanted callers" block list.  I made this call to Spectrum because another irritating early morning call came from a mortgage company (I made the mistake of checking rates online where I had to leave my contact info to get a response) and I wanted to prevent that, but when the Spectrum support person finished, he told me to expect a call from Spectrum to survey how he did!  I told him to stop that survey call because my wife was still sleeping (the reason I was trying to add that mortgage company's number to my block list in the first place), but he said it was automatic and couldn't be stopped!  Come on, Spectrum....your poor service can be irritating enough as it is....at least give your support people the ability to cancel a followup phone call survey when your customer specifically asks that it not happen!  

Trusted Helper

@BluegrassBoiler wrote:

I called today to complain about the same issue.  It's ridiculous that you are limited to just 30 numbers (even with NoMoRobo mine is full) and learned that you can block "private" or "unknown caller" calls separately in the "block anonymous calls" section which will hold those kind of callers outside of the 30 call limit on the "unwanted callers" block list.  I made this call to Spectrum because another irritating early morning call came from a mortgage company (I made the mistake of checking rates online where I had to leave my contact info to get a response) and I wanted to prevent that, but when the Spectrum support person finished, he told me to expect a call from Spectrum to survey how he did!  I told him to stop that survey call because my wife was still sleeping (the reason I was trying to add that mortgage company's number to my block list in the first place), but he said it was automatic and couldn't be stopped!  Come on, Spectrum....your poor service can be irritating enough as it is....at least give your support people the ability to cancel a followup phone call survey when your customer specifically asks that it not happen!  

Well,

All I know is that since activating Nomorobo two years ago, I have had only two calls that were not detected by the system.  If you go to "My Account" you have several phone blocking options.  I haven't had to even use the manual call blocking option since activating the Nomorobo feature.  You can report calls to Nomorobo that should be blocked that aren't being blocked.  Here is Nomorobo's website for more information:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

A call is considered blocked by Nomorobo, when they can't leave a message after the first ring.  What kinds of calls are you getting that should be blocked that aren't being blocked?  For example in my "Peace and Quiet" Spectrum Voice Settings, I have:

Basic Call Blocking on

Anonymous Call Rejection on

Nomorobo on.

You can sign up  at Nomorrobo's website and file reports for calls that are coming through that should be blocked.  Here's how:

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003815572-Report-A-Number

Satch

Highlighted
Browser

I spend a lot of time tracking, recording, trying to find out who these numbers are especially the ones  that say  unavailable in the id caller. My spectrum online blocked calls were at a maximum so I had to delete them and start again. 30 spots is hardly enough considering  the amount of calls I get . My cell phone which is  connectected with AT&T is  connected to my spectrum modem and I have calls transferred from home to cell phone . but Many times when calls come in to my cell phone  from my home phone,the ID might be  recognized,  and it says unavailable or just has the number. I sometimes block a no. on   my cell phone which turns out to be a known number.  I send almost all unidentified calls to the do not call registry. Sometimes  I also  get calls with this ID caller, 0000000000. It could be an important call,  but I have no way to find out unless someone happens to leave a message which rarely happens. These no number calls cannot be blocked or reported. And now many calls have fake numbers and use my area code and first 3 nos of my phone. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this is. Calls wake me up or bother me when I am busy even if I don't answer them and most of the time I don't. I have a few apps that  kind of work to block unknown callers, fake numbers, etc. But more times than not these calls don't seem to be automatically blocked and they can't find the real ID caller unless I pay more money to try to find them and I don't see why should have to do that considering the amount of time I already spent on this. There used to be phone books to look up a few names that I do get to see if they're in the phone book and legitimate,  but guess what? no more phonebooks and now I have to pay online  if I want them to do more research. This has become frustrating, harassing. And unfortunately one of the worst parts of modern technology we live with today.  It would be nice expect come come up with a way to be more proactive in blocking call and even insisting ID is legitimate. I realize some people like to be an anonymous to overcome that somewhat but is getting way too complicated an  spoofing and robo callers have  become way too large. The nomorobo feature is hardly stopping the telemarketers.