Rookie

Analog phone & FAX using Spectrum phone - no wired connection is possible to existing phone jacks

Recently a Spectrum installer came to my apartment, to install my new Spectrum internet, TV cable, and digital phone service. I previously had standard analog land line phone service with Verizon, and have several existing wired telephones located on both the top and bottom floors of my apartment. After the Spectrum installer left, I disconnected the old analog phone line wiring at the junction box outside of my apartment building, so that later on I might be able to connect my existing analog phones to the VOIP unit, without the old external telco wiring loading things down.

I quickly found that there is a problem here - the distance between the phone jack on my Spectrum router is too far away from the nearest wall phone jack. It simply will not be possible to run a telephone wire from the Spectrum D.P. unit to any wall mounted phone jack. Is there some kind of device that uses WiFi to link the Spectrum digital phone unit to some sort of WiFi enabled ATA device located in another room?   (Based on my research, the "wireless telephone jack systems" using phone signal transmission over inside power line wiring are absolute garbage, so that solution is a non-starter!)   I know that "Ooma", "Linksys", and "Obihai" make WiFi enabled ATA devices, but I do not think that these devices can be used to solve this particular problem.

I am sure there are other people who have experienced similar problems linking the Spectrum digital phone unit to remote analog phones or FAX devices. Can somebody provide me with a good wireless solution to this problem?

3 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Analog phone & FAX using Spectrum phone - no wired connection is possible to existing phone

Stupid question, but I'll ask....

Can you move the phone modem to a different location where a RJ-11 phone jack is nearby?

Unless you want to run surface-mount raceway from your modem's existing location to the nearest phone jack or run a long phone cord on the floor behind furniture, you might be better off buying a 5-handset cordless phone and locate the base unit near the modem...

Rookie

Re: Analog phone & FAX using Spectrum phone - no wired connection is possible to existing phone

Unfortunately it is not possible to move the router setup from its currently location, because there is only one cable connection in the apartment ..... behind the TV in the living room (downstairs).  And as I said before, the nearest RJ-11 jack is too far from the digital phone modem to run any wiring to the jack.  I am looking to use a FAX machine & wired phone upstairs.  That is why I am looking for a wireless solution to this problem.

Established Sharer

You have twice said "It's too far to run wire to an RJ11 wall jack" without telling us the distance.  Local telephone wired loops can be over 17,000 feet to the central office, but I doubt your apartment is that large. 

Did the installer fail to ask you where you wanted the modem installed before he started work?  Did you let the installer leave your apartment without connecting the telephone wiring?  Either way, call Spectrum back (using a cell phone) and tell them that their installer only did half the job and you won't be paying them until both the TVdownstairs and phone & fax upstairs are properly cabled and working.  This is what gives cable a bad name!