Highlighted
Browser

Outside camera

Before this Forum was created there was a question asked and I do not think there was ever an official answer.

I have my "outside" camera mounted on the eve of my house.   It faces one of my doors.  But anyway, I made that statement in that forum, and one other person spoke up, and stated his installer did not recommend putting the camera in the "Elements", that it should have a box around it.

When my installed did the install, It was snowing.   and I live in NEO, he never stated anything about NOT putting it in the "elements"

So, MY question, "Is the 'outside' camera really an outside camera, or should it be put in a box?

Anyone know?

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Outside camera

They need to be protected a little, like under an overhang.

Problem we have is with spiders and moths at night, attracted to the internal IR light and tripping off any video motion detector.

Expert

The  large "bullet" camera's with internal IR always end up with moisture inside when it rains and the temp drops,  Fog up on the inside because a vacuum is created when temp drops. The small cigar ones don't have an issue, just the large internal IR illuminator ones. Those need ventilation, the IR boards overheat and burn up.

Only solution I've found is remove the internal IR or use the non IR camera's with an external IR illuminator. That also attracts the bugs to the IR and not the camera so we don't get bugs crawling all over them at night.

You can't put internal IR camera's in an enclosure because the front glass reflects IR back into the camera.

Same holds true with aiming out thru a window especially the thermal ones which have IR coatings.

They work in the daytime but not at night

Browser

but  they are under warranty thru TWC for 18 months, (length of contract) who cares, they can come out every month and replace my outside camera.

I had mine sence 1/19, on the eve, at -10*F, Wind, snow, Rain, and so far no problems.   

But like I said, 18 month contract, Lets see how many they have to replace.

I can always say, "The installer knew what the weather was here, and should have suggested not to install where it is."

Expert

I doubt the installer has been doing CCTV & security for 45 years....-

Browser

and you are a :

installer has been doing CCTV & security for 45 years  ???  

If they call it an outside camera.   then it shoudl be water/wind/snow/freezing temp resistant.

MY unsterdanding, is if ANYTHNG fails within the 18 month contract, they will replace/repair it free of charge to me.

Well, You can bet if it don't work, it will be getting replaced/repaired.

I allready had one Key Fob replaced.   

Expert

Uhh, yes. "back in the day" maintained tube camera's, some in heated outdoor enclosures with thermostatic fans and windshield wipers... weighed 30-50# with the pan, tilt zoom and nightime image intensifier lenses. 

Stuff fails, It's why people have service contracts and that gear needs to be installed properly to avoid repeat calls.  Virtually no equipment is made to last more than 5 years and most is non repairable. Some of the gear from china holds up, others fail the first 100 degree sunny day that ends in a downpour, vacuum sucks water inside. Major failure is moisture getting sucked in, fogging the lense and the IR leds burning out because they're pushed to max and there's no ventillation.

A black anodized camera on the south side of a building doesn't last long. I've seen some that burned/ oxidized off the black coating in a single summer.

Participant

My installer told me point blank: "Do not install the "outdoor" camera outside here in Wisconsin.  It'll have a lot of problems".

He put both the "indoor" and "outdoor" camera indoors.  I kinda wanted it installed outside facing my driveway, but instead have a great view of the kitchen..

Are there any indoor cameras campatible with TWC IH that are PoE compatible?  The power cords on these things are just too friggin short!  My granddaughter comes over and rips the antennas off of them as quick as I can put them on.

I want both cameras hanging high.  Any ideas how to do that?

Expert

As long as you keep rain and sun off them, they'll work well outdoors.

I have some mounted on trees, went thru a couple before I found some that had good seals, others are under eaves.

You can get camera power extension cables. Provided they use the inverted coax small pin connector