Newcomer

receiving emails that are not for me

Is it possible that someone else could be using the same email address that I am? i have be receiving emails from people and places that i know nothing of. I just received an email telling me that my special order from Menards is ready for pick-up. I have no special order with Menards. 

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: receiving emails that are not for me

Maybe... but it's more than likely someone is trying to lure you onto a site with malicious intent.

Valued Contributor

Consider just blocking the messages.  If you have common name in your email address, such as johndoe@twc.com , sometimes a letter can be transposed and you can receive an email intended for someone else.

As pointed out, it could also be some type of phishing scam, but hard to tell.

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

mattfoley11 wrote:

Consider just blocking the messages.  If you have common name in your email address, such as johndoe@twc.com , sometimes a letter can be transposed and you can receive an email intended for someone else.

As pointed out, it could also be some type of phishing scam, but hard to tell.

Agree Matt,

The customer should also update his virus definitions and run a full scan, just to make sure that nothing bad has crept into his system.  A password change can also help if instances like this continue.  The first step is to check (put a check mark) by each of those "not for him" messages.  The customer should send those checked messages to his Spam or Junk folder.  The system learns what messages are spam, and this can help keep junk mail out of a users' Inbox.

Satch