Rookie

"Sextortion" emails

do I need to report that I have received several "sextortion" emails that seem to be the going thing this month? I saved the email address.

The sender has a decade-old password but the rest of the text is nonsense so after a cursory search I found it's a scam.  If you get one go here  https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sextortion-scam-username-password,news-27649.html

5 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: "Sextortion" emails

@JBOC wrote:

do I need to report that I have received several "sextortion" emails that seem to be the going thing this month? I saved the email address.

The sender has a decade-old password but the rest of the text is nonsense so after a cursory search I found it's a scam.  If you get one go here  https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sextortion-scam-username-password,news-27649.html

I would say don't click on ANYTHING,

Dump Spectrum email, which is no longer supported,  It's the old Road Runner from TWC.  Instead use a web-based email like Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or Outlook.com.  Get an ad blocker for each browser if you don't have one to prevent banner ads.  Only one per browser, as more than one will conflict. I recommend Ad Block Plus.

Webmail providers are always up-to-date and have better security and spam guards.  If you get spam from them, just select the message by putting a check mark next to it in your inbox, and than move it to your Spam/Junk folder without opening it.  This keeps you safe and trains the email system to keep spam out of your inbox. 

What is also great , is that a webmail provider will stay with you for the reset of your life.  Log in periodically to keep it active.  Additionally, you can access a webmail provider on any computer or device with Internet access from anywhere in the word.  If an ISP based email were to discontinue its service, you would lose all of your emails from that provider!

Satch

Helper

I agree with everything already mentioned by @Satch.  I would add that you should be able to mark the email as spam which should help the spam filters "learn" and keep them out of your inbox.

Rookie

I use BitDefender and its VPN and this email was actually in my gmail spam folder because it was recognized as spam.  However, one of the articles suggested I notify my ISP provider.  It's not easy contacting Spectrum / TWC about anything.  They only seem to offer these forums so subscribers and the general public will do their work - presumably because the genpub knows more about these matters than their own staff.  Regardless it sounds like a lot of folks are falling for it (because it uses old passwords).   While I am usually the first to snicker at the gullibility of people, perhaps the ISP providers should play a role in notifying their subscribers (at the very least) of this latest trend in using the internet for evil.

Community Manager

@JBOC,

You can report unsolicited and unwanted messages as spam.  Log in to your Email, identify the unsolicited messages in your inbox, then click the Report SPAM button.

This process helps our Support team identify and block future messages from abusing the network.

You can also forward samples as attachments to spamblock@postmaster.rr.com.

You can configure spam options by logging into web mail and going to the junk mail settings: Web Mail > Settings > Junk Mail

Highlighted
Browser

Thanks for the link. Very helpful!