Newcomer

pop server timeout

I seem to be getting this error more and more often. I've tried for 2 hours tonight and still get the same error:
"Task 'my email'@rochester.rr.com - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."  I have restarted Outlook several times and have restarted the modem. Any suggestions on how to resolve this ?

1 REPLY
Lead Moderator

Re: pop server timeout

What are my incoming and outgoing mail server addresses?

Note: Using both IMAP and POP simultaneously or POP across multiple devices can cause connection/mail synchronization error messages when trying to send, receive or access new email such as the following:

“The mail server denied access to your account because another mail client was using it.”

To avoid these errors we recommend using IMAP on all devices.

POP and IMAP are two different email protocols used to access your email account.

POP3 – Post Office Protocol

• When you access email from different devices, POP network protocol creates a copy of your emails and might delete the originals from the server, depending upon how you configure your email.
  • Actions taken on an email are limited to the device or computer on which they were performed.
    • You cannot access those changes using webmail or another email client on other devices or computers.
  • You may only be able to see some email messages on some devices, or you might have to download some messages multiple times.
  • You might prefer POP if:
    • You only use one Internet-connected device for your email.
    • You want to be able to have access to original emails on which you took action on other devices. If you accidentally delete an email you need on one device, you might still be able to access it on another device.

IMAP – Internet Messaging Access Protocol

• Email messages are left on the server, similar to Cloud storage.
  • You can access email from multiple computers and mobile devices at any given time and will see the same results.
  • Your email is updated simultaneously across all platforms used to check your email: phones, tablets, computers, etc.
  • Your email is stored on remote email servers until you delete them.
  • You might prefer IMAP if:
    • You check email from a variety of Internet-connected devices.
    • You mostly use webmail, such as your email, that you want to sync with your Internet-connected devices.

POP Settings

• Account Type: POP or POP3
  • Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
  • Incoming Server - POP3 port: 995
  • Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
  • Outgoing Server - SMTP port: 587*

* Note: If you are able to receive, but not send, emails while on your mobile device, you'll need to use your mobile carrier's outgoing SMTP server and port.

• Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address, for example:
    • johndoe@[division].rr.com
    • johndoe@roadrunner.com
    • johndoe@twc.com
  • Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
  • SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

IMAP Settings

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
  • Incoming Server –IMAP port: 993
  • Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
  • Outgoing Server – SMTP port: 587*

* Note: If you are able to receive, but not send, emails while on your mobile device, you'll need to use your mobile carrier's outgoing SMTP server and port.

• Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address, for example:
    • johndoe@[division].rr.com
    • johndoe@roadrunner.com
    • johndoe@twc.com
  • Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
  • SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked