Rookie

Re: is it possible to block spam at Time Warner

They are not listening! AND they SUCK! I am counting the days until Google Fiber gets to my neighborhood. I have tried for 2 months to Block all TDL from .nl to no avail. I have made rules, sent to splamblocker email, sent ot TWC /RR Customer Service and even been through a few lengthy phone calls with underqualified customer service reps. Nothing works. How ironic that Gmail can do this and also I can easily make Rules in Outlook. This however only moves it to Junk Folder which I still have to weed through to avoid missing critical and TWC / RR misplaced emails. The other problewm is like you mentioned this comes to my iPhone and I get about 10-15 smaps from .nl every day; meaning I check my mail for business and have to download a ton of data for nothing This is insane! Why can't I just be able to make a wildcard like *.*@nl and BLOCK (not Filter to a Folder) at the Server level!! 

Rookie

I have same problem here. Seems like everything just went down with TWC's spam blocker in the last 3w. I've sent multiple emails to the Spamblocker account and update the blocked email in settings with NO SUCCESS. I've just tried the "Filter Options" suggestion and we'll see.

Almost all my SPAM are from *.nl 

It seems like it would be very easy to just block these but no one at TWC seems to be listening?

Newcomer

Time Warner Cable must be in bed with the Democratic Party because all of their emails are NOT blocked but everyone elses is.  WHY IS THIS SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rookie

My main email address is receiving about 20 pieces of SPAM mail per day from *.nl.  I tried blocking with a wildcard, however wildcards do not work.  I started adding all the domains to the blocked list - guess what?  The messages  STILL COME THROUGH!!!!!!  I am getting so sick of this crap!!!!!  They are all from .nl.  I keep reporting them to the spam abuse center, nothing happens.  I tried getting on a chat session with someone from India who couldn't understand what I was talking about (thanks for the GREAT customer service......).  I am an email engineer and have supported many email/anti-spam servers in the past, and all I can say is, if this doesn't stop soon, I am switching my account over to another provider.

Newcomer

I've been using for a long time & have been very succcessful at blocking 99.9% of the spam msgs from the domains mentioned in this forum for my elderly parents' accounts. As other people have mentioned, adding them to the Block List does not work, not to mention that the Block list fills up quickly.  What I did was create FILTERS at the RoadRunner/TWC webmail level, which will not only Blocks them before they ever reach my parents' email client on their computers (or your cell ph email apps), but I can also Report them as Spam en masse. Here's what I did:

In RR webmail, first setup a Mailbox called "Filtered for Spam".

From Settings, go to "Filter options" and "Create a New Filter". I labeled mine "Filter-for-Spam-1". (Why the '1" explained below)

Within that Filter settings, tell it to "Place message in" in the "Filtered for Spam" Mailbox you just created.

Set the first Filter Operation for If "From" "contains" ".nl" (From & contains are from the dropdown menu). You can set up to 5 Filter Operations per Filter. Be sure it's set to match "Any" of the operations (and not "All")

Add Filter Operations for other domains such as .pw, .ru, .ro, .science, etc. Click OK to finish.

You can add up to 5 Filter Operations per Filter.  Thus, why I labeled the 1st Filter "Filter-for-Spam-1". After 5 filter operations (domains), you can start another Filter labeled "Filter-for-Spam-2", etc.

Once a week or so, I go into their RR acct to check for legit messages (very rare ). Empty that Mailbox by clicking "Select All" at the top of the checkboxes & hit "Report to Spam". They will get moved to the "Deleted Items" box, which will automatically gets emptied every 30(?) days if you don't want to manually delete them yourself.

Note: Everytime you go in & Add another Filter Operation up to the 5, it defaults to placing the messages in the Inbox, so you just have to reselect it to send them to your "Filtered for Spam" mailbox.

Observation: The RR/TWC webmail site can be annoyingly slow, I think made worse if you have other devices or email prgms checking for msgs in real-time.

Tip: Use a separate email addr for personal/individual correspondence & a different one for things you do on the web. Possibly a 3rd one for naive "friends" who tend to share (Forward) stupid group messages w/ cute pictures, jokes, etc. & NEVER click on the links they share.

Hope that helps.

Newcomer

I need to block emails ending in .nl which I assume is Netherlands. I get 20 a day everyday and my maximum block list is full. I clear that out every so often but no luck. Simple question what wildcard can be used to block .nl.  All the emails are like mike.content.blahblah.nl just crap saying they are APPLE or Dell or something

PL
N/A

I use ACK-Hawaii's solution, except that lately the spammers are spoofing their "From:" address and hiding their originating Palau address in the "return-path" field of the header.  RR/TW don't let you filter on the return-path field, naturally.

Rookie

Yeah tried it all including contacting TW, no luck just terrible spam control for emails by Time Warner. I am getting ship-confirm@amazon.com all the time and they said forward it to them. That was weeks ago, right still they come.

Newcomer

Sad to say, but the best way to block spam is to let Gmail do it for you. Create a Gmail account and set it up to retrieve all your mail from your TWC email, then (if you don't want to use Gmail directly), configure an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird to retrieve your emails from your new Gmail account (instead of directly from TWC).

You will find that Gmail will filter out all of the spam and all you will see is your regular emails. You only need to do this with your incoming emails, so you can still your TWC email for sending outgoing emails.

The one downside is that incoming emails can be delayed for a few minutes to an hour or two. Gmail only looks for new emails every few minutes (if you get a lot) or sometimes over an hour (if you only get a couple a day, for example). The only way to prevent this is to tell people so send emails directly to your Gmail account.

I created this set up for my parents, and it works great. They were being snowed under with spam before I did this, and they haven't seen a single spam email in the months afterwards. You might want to check the Gmail spam folder once in a while to make sure no non-spam emails get stuck in there, but I've never found any on my parents' account.

Contributor

I know this thread is oldish, but I talked with a guy the other day who specializes in trying to stop spam and junk mail. You can't stop it by trying to block it, they have all sorts of pinging ways when you attempt anything.  He said, don't ever try to do anything as it if registered somewhere, somehow. It will go away some if you let it, but it might take a long time and once they know it got delivered, too late, they have all sorts of programs and software that they work with, he said,that you don't want to know about. Well, just wanted to add my 4 cents, thanks for listening!