Newcomer

is it possible to block spam at Time Warner

Statement:  I am now receiving more spam than legitimate emails, my wife also on a different email address.  Legitimate emails have a domain ENDING in .com, .edu, .net, .gov, .org, etc.  The spam emails all have a lot of miscellaneous characters at the beginning of the domain and EVERY one is different.  But all the spam emails typically end in .review, .top, .work, .science, .casa and .eu.  Two examples of the spam email addresses are below:

58wCg81Vg-5wlnMr4c9l.snyaz0g20IvJNxH5@50255.CwXC5RJ88BS.einkritik.review

792-5s.20Z0@18217.yjN1ub2zXhpMf.ritaines.science

I can log into my master account and see an option for blocked senders and domains, but from what I understand, the entire domain must be included in the list.

Question:  Is there a way to block emails from those certain domains using a wildcard like:

*.review

*.work  or

*.top

A solution would be highly helpful in another way as well.  Yes, it is easy to look at the spam messages, pretty easy to spot and simply delete them.  But I also get emails on my cell phone as well and each one of those spams gradually eat away at my cell phone account data limit.

Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

19 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: is it possible to block spam at Time Warner

[ Edited ]

There is no foolproof method for stopping all spam.  But there are things you can do to help

Currently,  TWC uses four block lists to reject connections applied in the following order:

1. The Spamhaus SBL-XBL combined list - http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/index.lasso.
  2. The Trend Micro RBL+ Service (formerly known as the MAPS RBL-Plus list) - http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/nrs/rbl/evaluate/overview.htm.
  3. A name-based block list that will reject a connection if an IP's reverse DNS record resolves to a pattern in this list.
  4. An IP address-based block list built based on complaints received from TWC customers of unwanted mail in their mailbox.

It is important to encourage as much spam deletion as possible so customer's storage within mailboxes will not be unnecessarily used up by unwanted spam.  This is considered a customer satisfaction issue, as well as a storage financial cost issue.

Customers can choose:

• Deliver the email - Except for mail blocked from internal and other spam lists, which the customer cannot opt out of.  All mail addressed to the customer will be delivered to the customer's Inbox.
  • Prefix the email subject with the text "SPAM:" and deliver - Except for mail blocked from internal and other spam lists, which the customer cannot opt out of.  Mail identified as spam will be marked as spam within the header and delivered to the customer's Inbox.
  • Place the email in the Junk Mail folder - Except for mail blocked from internal and other spam lists, which the customer cannot opt out of.  Mail identified as spam will be delivered to the Junk Mail folder and deleted after seven days if not removed.
  • Delete the email - Except for mail blocked from internal and other spam lists, which the customer cannot opt out of.  Mail identified as spam will be deleted without the customer ever seeing the mail.  This option may result in a high number of false positives depending on the mail, for example, if the mail has a large number of recipients.

All of these options can be configured at Web Mail (click here) > Settings > Junk Mail.

Screenshot from mine:

example image

You can clear out mass quantities of emails at once by clicking on the green "manage folders" on the left, and then clicking the red-down-arrow icon(s) next to the folder you want to empty out.
example image

Finally, I'd recommend using some "street smarts" too.  Avoid replying to scam emails, as it only serves to let them know you're a real email.  Whereas an official email will have some sort of "to unsubscribe" link that points to an official corporate server.

Phishing scams use fraudulent e-mails and fake Web sites, masquerading as legitimate businesses, to lure unsuspecting users into revealing private account or login information. To be safe, if you receive an e-mail from a business that includes a link to a Web site, make certain that the Web site you visit is legitimate. Instead of clicking through to the Web site from within the e-mail, open a separate Web browser and visit the business’ Web site directly to perform the necessary actions. You can also verify that an e-mail is in fact from a legitimate business by calling the business or agency directly.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.

I am getting numerous spams from same e-mail address. (from charitable donations to private jets). Have added to block list, didn't block. Tried again, said it was already blocked. CLEARED all my blocked addresses, blocked again. Still receiving. Have reported as spam dozens of times. HELP!!! Please... Have blocked both domain and address with no result Address is email@anotherie.com

Rookie

Yes this is all lovely, but I keep getting spam.   And I have reached the artificial limit imposed by Time Warner on blocking individual emails.

I can't use any of your solutions to delete spam, because Time Warner will arbitrarily decide that emails I use every day are spam, so when people get mad at me for not responding I have to go into webmail and physically unblock addresses, yet all the HARP loans, health exchange, dental implants are making it to my in basket.

Why does Google Gmail do so much better in catching spam?

Rookie

I have followed all the instructions.  I have diligently reported all the spam emails to Time Warner.....and guess what they are multiplying like rabbits.  I had LESS spam when I was just deleting them

SURELY the 4 spam filters in use can't be so incompetent that they cannot stop the spam.

Gmail does a much better job, but, unfortunately, my roadrunner account is used for business and I can't abandon it.

My new complaint, because I am spending so much time on webmail, is the number of ads and pop ups on the webmail page.

At the rates that TWC charges, surely, it does not need the ad income.  Maybe they should focus instead on speeding up the server so it doesn't take so long to clean up the spam manually.

Newcomer

Count me in as another one that is having heavy spam issues. I use Gmail with no issue as well. I still need my rr.com for a long while. The amount of spam I reclieve now is starting to outnumber my legit e-mails. I send every spam message to the "abuse center" but I see no reaction other than more spam e-mails. I have tried all the things I was told to do to help with spam but nothing seems to be working. I have been a TW customer for decades now. It's getting to the point where if they don't fix the spam issue soon, I will leave them for another company that can do a better job at tackling the unwanted e-mail issue. 

Rookie

I have found the best method is to use the filter feature in your settings. This will allow you to set rules for incoming emails including the ability to use wilcard a such as "contains the following characters". As an example most of my junk email were from yahoo.com domains. I set a filter that simply tells the system what to do with any incoming email that contains the characters "yahoo.com" (in my case, send it to my junk folder) By setting this and few other domain specific filters, I have eliminated 95% of my spam.

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

Jerrysail, would you kindly share some of the webmail filters you succesfully use? I have tried everything and cannot get these filters to work. I'm trying to block Top Level Domains (TDL's) like .nl and .pw which accounts for about 90% of my spam.

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

No this issue is NOT SOLVED.

I suspect Time Warner sees yahoo.com as a "trusted domain" and will not let us block junk mail from it.  Spammers know this and take advantage of it.   On a phone call with a tech support guy,  I got the feeling there was something he didn't want to tell me.  Instead he suggested I send an e-mail to spamblock@postmaster.rr.com.  It's been five days and I have yet to get a response, so just sent them another message.  

Forum Moderator:  Please tell us the truth.  Why are we not allowed to decide which e-mails domains we want to categorize as junk?  Is this some kind of quid pro qou deal you have with Yahoo?  I can tell you they are the LAST e-mail domain that I trust.  

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

Reply to Jerrysall:

I can do that in an e-mail client, like Outlook, but I cannot block email from the yahoo.com domain on the Roadrunner mail server.  And if you don't do it at the server level, your mobile devices will fill up with Yahoo junk mail.  And I don't know about other devices, but the iPhone doesn't have domain-blocking capability.   But we shouldn't have to block this junk mail at the cleint level!

TWC Roadrunner -- are you listening?