Rookie

Will Charter be giving us a functional webmail system?

Also, will our email addresses be moving to Charter domains, or will they remain @xyz.rr.com indefinitely?

6 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Will Charter be giving us a functional webmail system?

gfarina1 wrote:

Also, will our email addresses be moving to Charter domains, or will they remain @xyz.rr.com indefinitely?

Greetings,

Too early to tell.  I would just switch to one of the free Email Providers  They offer many more things than a cable based email provider and they are free.  Here is an example of some of them:

Microsoft Office Online- With a Microsoft Account you can get free access to Word, Excel, Powepoint and One Drive with 5GB of secure On-Line Storage.  It includes Outlook:

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online

Google Drive- With a Google Account, you can get a full Online Office suite with Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation plus Gmail.  You can also create surveys and forms.

https://www.google.com/drive/using-drive/

Gmail Features: https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mail/help/features.html

Yahoo Mail-  Doesn't have Office based functionality, but does offer the most email storage of any free provider (1TB) (Scroll down at link to see features.)

https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

Satch

Rookie

Sure, I have accounts with all of those and more. But everything I have done online for at least the last decade is linked to this email address, and the idea of tracking down and changing all that is unpalatable.

I'm not looking for a large feature set for a web interface, I'll use a client for that. I'd just like basic security, and for it to not be crushed into unusability by a message count that is a mere fraction of the available space.
Trusted Helper

gfarina1 wrote:
Sure, I have accounts with all of those and more. But everything I have done online for at least the last decade is linked to this email address, and the idea of tracking down and changing all that is unpalatable.

I'm not looking for a large feature set for a web interface, I'll use a client for that. I'd just like basic security, and for it to not be crushed into unusability by a message count that is a mere fraction of the available space.

Sup?

I have never used TWC Web Mail.  What are its biggest problems that haven't been addressed?  I really don't think Charter would change it all that much.  I was told that compared to the above providers, it's not very good, just wondering why?

Satch

Rookie

The main problem is speed, mainly the complete lack thereof. If you look through this forum, about 1 in 10 posts is an unresolved issue about crippling slowness. It seems that for many - though not all - users, as the number of emails on the account grows the speed decreases dramatically.

The usual solution proposed, once you convince them that it's not your connection or browser, is to reduce the number of emails per screen, and to delete emails.This is absurd when you're not even at half capacity for the account, which itself is only 1/5 of the storage possible to be allocated to it from the master account. I and many others have reached a point where we can't even clean up the account if we wanted to, because trying to change the sort field times out before it completes, and going through a few thousand emails with no sorting at 25/page would take days, especially when it can take upwards of a minute just to refresh the page after a delete, or to go to the next page.

Also, no HTTPS beyond the login page. All of your email viewing is done in cleartext.
Spectrum Employee

To the topic question, they gave us Charter work emails right after the merger stuff became official.

It's slooooow process changing around email stuff, and it's probably on the backburner compared to far more important priorities at this moment I'd imagine.

When or will there be a Charter email for customers? Will they get rid of the @Twc.com emails?  No idea.  No really, not a clue.  It's way too early.

As far as the TWC webmail service... One of it's primary functions (other than just being a functional email) is for internet modem registration.  It's been this way for every ISP I've been a customer with (or my case nowadays, actually working for the ISP lol).  That email is linked in with the modem's MAC and account #.  You can see what I'm talking about if you go to https://selfcare.twcc.com and login with your primary/master email's login info.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

Everytime you login to webmail it is downloading every email viewable on the page, whereas using a 3rd party app, your emails are stored there and don't need to be re-downloaded every time you open the app. I honestly only recommend logging into the webmail version of your email once every 30 days to ensure your account doesn't become suspended for inactivity as sometimes only logging in through Outlook or Apple mail or other such apps doesn't register as a login to the server itself.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions