Participant

Webmail keeps crashing on send attempts and when composing

For the past few days, spectrum webmail keeps crashing on send attempts and when composing a message.

Reading other posts here, I see I am not alone.

I'm in NYC.  Most problems happen with mobile smtp server.

Spectrum, when do you expect to fix this problem?

6 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Webmail keeps crashing on send attempts and when composing

@ellentk1,

Sorry for the frustration. Previously, email was able to be sent unauthenticated on port 25 (SMTP). A recent update requires authentication. Please ensure that you are using mail.twc.com for both incoming and outgoing mail and that outgoing mail is set to port 587. Last, please ensure that the full email address is included in the configuration. If the issue is not resolved, we encourage you to contact support directly for further assistance.

Please contact us at:

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

James M. 

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Newcomer

Ya, but your main sending MX server (mx1.biz.rr.com) does not support TLS port 587, only your secondary (mx2.biz.rr.com) does.

See for yourself.

Go to https://mxtoolbox.com

click on the tab "Diagnostics"

type in mx1.biz.rr.com and click "Test email server"

Additionally, your server is so slow that it took over 15 seconds for the transaction time which caused it to time out

Plus both mx1.biz.rr.com and mx2.biz.rr.com are blacklisted because your entire IP range is listed on UCEPROTECTL2 because you don't monitor spammers on your IP range.

I'm a MSP support engineer for over 500 companies in the cincinnati area and this is the worst email service I have ever seen

I even have an email from your level 2 support stating that my client should move to a different email provider because your email doesn't support "advanced features" like a mail filter.

Subject: Email recommendation

Mr Randy Weiss,

My recommendation, giving your needs for how your email filters are set up, is that you move to a dedicated hosting/email provider instead of going with your ISP’s hosting services. Our services are geared towards a small business with limited email needs and the company you are with has more complex needs.

Hope this is of assistance to you.

Thanks,

-Rebecca

Results: WARNING - DOES NOT SUPPORT TLS

smtp:mx1.biz.rr.com

Timeout waiting for response after 15 seconds. : Completed Connect   Test Result  
SMTP Reverse DNS ResolutionReverse DNS Resolution - No PTR Record found
SMTP TLSWarning - Does not support TLS.
SMTP Transaction Time15.227 seconds - Not good! on Transaction Time
Participant

James,

My complaint is about yr webmail.  users of webmail have no control over the smtp server. 

Also, think about it, the program crashes while I'm composing a msg, before it goes to the outgoing server.  that happens after i hit send, doesn't it? i think i am correct here.  

And, why does the program stall and crash when I try to change folders?

And why dooes it now take multiple attempts to log in to WEBmail (emphasis added for clarity)?

When will the webmail problems be fixed?

Lead Moderator

@ellentk1

If you are having problems with webmail and are not using a client we would 

encourage you to contact support directly.

The majority of the threads you are seeing here are regarding the use of 

clients like Outlook or Thunderbird.

What you are experiencing is not a known issue. We would encourage you to 

attempt to send//receive email via another computer for testing. Using an 

alternate browser. Make sure you are logging in at mail.twc.com.

Regards,
Julia R.
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Lead Moderator

@Randy77

You are a business class customer? If this is the case please reach out to our Business Class Support team at  800.314.7195

If you are using residential email that is not our primary server. The MX1.biz.rr.com and MX2.biz.rr.com are our business class servers. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Participant

I had called spectrum's tech support and they said the webmail problem is a known issue.

I posted here to encourage you guys to fix it.