Unable to Delete Email Messages & Extremely Slow Response Times

For the past few months, I've had a terrible time trying to delete my Outlook email messages.  The problems started when I was suddenly unable to empty my trash.  I get this error:  "The server responded:  "Serious error while processing DELETE (MSFolderNotRemovable (74/82))".  I could only delete each group one at a time, which was a very time-consuming process.  And the response time was very slow.

Since then, I've checked online and been unable to find a solutionm though others had posted the question on Outlook websites, and the folks with problems all seemed to have TWC.  So I've tried other options that, at first, appeared to work.  But, in the end, they did not.  For example, tonight,  I decided to bypass my trash and set up rules to permanently delete email messages from my Inbox by sender.  That appeared to be working pretty well.  I'd been able to delete probably 1500 emails like that.  I could see the number of unread emails dropping down as they were deleted.  But, when I came back to my computer about 10 minutes later to turn off the rules, the messages were all back in my inbox.  I'm trying to rerun some of those rules now, but it's taking forever to run just one of them.

I'm at the point of exasperation.  I have nearly 6,000 emails in my account.  And I can't get anything deleted.  And I've wasted countless hours trying.

Please help!

12 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Unable to Delete Email Messages & Extremely Slow Response Times

I know how to help on this, but it's tricky to explain via text... I'll try though.

There is a definitely way to completely empty your inbox folder for your @twc.com or @something.rr.com emails (if I'm understanding your question correctly), but you're going to need to go to mail.twc.com to do it.

Steps:

1. mail.twc.com in your URL bar of your internet browser, go to it.
  2. login
  3. look on the left for the green icon labled "Manage Folders"
  4. click that, and now you're looking at your list of folders
  5. assuming you wanted to empty the inbox click the icon on the left side of that row on the table that looks like a folder being upturned with a red arrow pointing down out of it
  6. click that icon to move all inbox emails to the trash bin instantly
  7. click on the icon next to the trash bin to trigger a permanent deletion (can take awhile for that part, but just triggering it all you need to do, then you can go to some other webpage)

Let me know if that makes sense and works for you!

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.

Thanks, AgentX5!  That was a great idea.  I didn't know that you could work with your email from that website.  So I've definitely learned something from you tonight. 

Your instructions made sense to me.  And I can use your method to delete items from my folders.  But once they're sent to the Deleted Items folder and I try to permanently delete them from there, I get a generic error that they could not be deleted.  That Deleted Items folder was, apparently, really hosed a while back.  I'd like to be able to just get rid of it and recreate it.  But I haven't had any luck doing that.

Thanks again for trying to help!  Please let me know if you have any other ideas.  Have a super weekend!

Spectrum Employee

TwoHooligans wrote:

And I can use your method to delete items from my folders.  But once they're sent to the Deleted Items folder and I try to permanently delete them from there, I get a generic error that they could not be deleted. 

I got a team lead in my department involved and we used your example along with 2 other examples from recent phone calls to get that bug investigated by the engineers who work on the @twc.com email servers.  That deleted items folder isn't supposed to be throwing out that error when you go to permanently empty it.

Thanks for the feedback!

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Newcomer

I've been trying to delete my meassages from TWC webmail. I login and go to manage folders, am able to empty all folders, except the deleted folder (which all the others have gone into) ... When I attempt to empty the deleted folder I get this message ... Error: Unable to empty Deleted Items folder:  ... The only way I can empty is by 200 at a time, which takes forever from the TWC webmail.

N/A

Had same problem. Deleted box has 9200+ files. Tried your fix. Clicked on file to left of "deleted files" under manage files. Claims file is empty, yet still shows all files there. Deleting at 25 files per delete will take a lifetime. Any other ideas?

Newcomer

I've got the same issue with one of my sub-account's deleted messages, now up to more than 13,000--and seemingly growing faster than my user deletes messages. Fruitless chat and phone conversation with TWC support, who blame it on either maintenance or some impossible-to-specify problem that's allegedly been an issue since September 8, with no estimated time to fix. Is there anyone at TWC with the technical skills to address this issue? If so, how does one reach such a resource? Clearly, the front-line support people are unable to provide such access. Do I start at the top of the food chain instead?

Newcomer

Same problem -- however you can delete up to 1000 messages at a time. However, when  I  do that I get an error. I have to log off, wait 5-10 minutes, log back on, and then see that the 1000 mesages were placed in the deleted mailbox. 

Then start the process again to delete the remaining 17,000+ messages.

Why not a simple purge ?

Newcomer

and...............

Newcomer

7 months and still no fix? Guess theywere updating our bills first!