Highlighted
Observer

TWC is handing out incorrect information on how to setup Outlook 2013 on a Desktop

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

After spending hours with TWC support in trying to get help which seems a lot of people are having in setting up POP using Outlook 2013 (and other versions), I figured out the answer with the help of a user on this website.

It turns out that TWC is pushing everyone to use IMAP.

Well, in most cases you do want to use IMAP.

But the main reason I use POP, is that I like to retain a copy of my mail on my local servers at home.

If I ever leave TWC and am using IMAP, I don't get to keep the messages, the meesage stay hostage at on TWC mail servers.

You can copy IMAP messages, but its a little harder.

So if the user wants to POP, TWC is telling you to use there new IMAP incoming and outgoing server information of 'mail.twc.com'.

That's perfect for IMAP.

I should point out that TWC was late in the game to even offer IMAP.

The mail.twc.com works perfectly with your smartphones and other devices.

But for some reason you need to use the older information in setting up the incoming and outgoing servers.

So it should be entered as the following for the INCOMING: pop-server.x.com  (x= the name of the your rr.com, for example I'm in NYC so it's pop-server.nyc.rr.com, just subsitute 'x' for your TW area.)

The same is for the OUTGOING: smtp-server.x.com (x= the name of the your rr.com, for example I'm in NYC so it's smtp-server.nyc.rr.com, just subsitute 'x' for your TW area.)

I really hope this helps some of the users out there who have been pulling their hair out and getting frusttated banging their head against the wall.

The last support rep, just told me to call Microsoft? If Microsoft Outlook is using some old protocols, then TWC needs to call Microsoft not the end user.

And if it was a Microsoft problem when does it now work using the older information tha we used to use?

Its downright embrassing for a CEO and its employees that the end users have to figure out how to make it work and not support!

Rob

2 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: TWC is handing out incorrect information on how to setup Outlook 2013 on a Desktop

Hi,

I have been using IMAP for a while and it enables you to keep the mail in your email client (usually Outlook) and on the email server.  However, you should still be able to use POP if you would like.

Also, mail.twc.com works for me for the incoming (IMAP/POP) and outgoing(SMTP) servers.  

I have posted this link before, but the setup in this link for IMAP and POP have worked for me

tinyurl.com/twcimap

mail.twc.com will work for IMAP and POP from what I have seen.

the pop-server.division.rr.com should still work too.  I have a subaccount that I check rarely that still uses that setup as well, but for the account I check most on outlook and my phone, I use IMAP and the mail.twc.com protocol settings for IMAP (incoming) and SMTP (outgoing).

MDV
Newcomer

Re: TWC is handing out incorrect information on how to setup Outlook 2013 on a Desktop

am surprised at all the problems users of Outlook 2013 are having.  Ever since TWC became a part of Spectrum,  I have had bad service for the TV, and recently, Outlook 2013 is inoperable. spent one hour with a tech at MS support:  Nothing gained.

I can't even get outlook to open.

suggestions??