Highlighted
Rookie

TWC email Server Security "None"?

TWC Roadrunner Email Server Security on

Nexus 7 (2013) Android 6.0.1

Droid Mini (Verizon) Android 4.4

On both devices, both Incoming (POP port 110) and Outgoing (SMTP port 587) Server settings for @neo.rr.com email show Security Type as "None".  Choosing SSL/TLS alone or with        " Accept all Certificates" gets "Cannot connect to server". Account Setup instructions say to set Server Security Type as "SSL/TLS Accept All Certificates".

My User Name and email address are as originally assigned years ago, as is my Master Password.  If these are compromised, what's to keep email secure?

5 REPLIES

Re: TWC email Server Security "None"?

My apologies for the issues getting your e-mail set up, @MikeG.  Have you tried the IMAP settings below to see if that makes any difference:

IMAP settings:
Account Type: IMAP
Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
Incoming Server –IMAP port: 143
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server – SMTP port: 587
Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address
johndoe@[division].rr.com
johndoe@roadrunner.com
johndoe@twc.com).
Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

Regards,
Jeremiah S.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Check out the community guidelines here
Rookie

Jeremiah,

Thanks. Before I follow your instructions, I want to be sure I was clear about my concern. I access TWC (Roadrunner) email through TWC wireless modem. The email address is xxxxx@neo.rr.com).  I have no problem accessing email. My question is about security.

When I go to my Time Warner Email - Settings - Account  - Server Settings, both Incoming and Outgoing Settings show  "None" under Security Type. Is this OK?

If I select anything else (SSL, SSL/TLS, etc..) and click Done, I get "Cannot connect to Server". My Username and Password are both shown and correct as are POP and SMTP servers.

Please confirm for me that this is clear and whether i should follow your instructions for better email security,  I don't want to attempt to fix something that's not broken.

Thanks again. 

At this time, SSL/TLS encryption is not supported which is why those errors have occured.  My apologies I did not mention that in my original response.

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

Regards,
Jeremiah S.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Check out the community guidelines here
Observer

[ Edited ]

It's 2016 and TWC mail still doesn't have basic security for its email servers. That's unbelievable. This was standard as of 15 years ago with most any internet/email hosting company. It's shameful.

Newcomer

I agree this is a huge security vulnerability and  to be addressed NOW !