Newcomer

SPAM with *****myname***** in the subject

I've noticed the amount of SPAM I'm getting lately is off the charts. Recently I noticed they all have one thing in common: *****myname***** in the subject line. Anyone else having this issue? Anyone found an effective way to block it?

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: SPAM with *****myname***** in the subject

[ Edited ]

ednewell wrote:

I've noticed the amount of SPAM I'm getting lately is off the charts. Recently I noticed they all have one thing in common: *****myname***** in the subject line. Anyone else having this issue? Anyone found an effective way to block it?

Greetings,

If you are using Spectrum as your email provider, to be honest, it's not that great.  I would recommend that you switch to an web--based email provider.  They have great Spam protection and better security than Spectrum mail.

1.) Begin by having one (and only one) ad-blocker in each of your browsers.   If you don't already have ad blocker, or what you are using is not effective, I would uninstall it and get Ad Block Plus.  Search for it in each browser and install it.  Offered for all major browsers, it will block 99% of banner ads as well as ads in You Tube videos that can lead to spammy and malicious sites.

2.) Select from any of these great email providers:

• Gmail
  • Outlook.com. (No need to buy MS Office anymore for Outlook, this one is free.)
  • Yahoo Mail

Get one of these and sign up.  I have Yahoo Mail and many have Gmail.  Outlook.com is free with a Microsoft account sign up, (also free) and so is Gmal with a Google account.  You also get free Online Office productivity suites with your Gmail and Outlook accounts.

Google Drive-Is an excellent alternative to MS Office and is included with Gmail.  15 GB of free storage and great integration with Gmail, top Spam Guard as well.

Microsoft One Drive-Provides basic online versions of World, Excel, Power Point, and many other free management tools.  Only 5 GB of free storage though is its biggest downside, and some find the Ribbon interface, now a part of all paid and online versions of MS Office to be a bit too clunky. All are free. 

I use both Google Drive and One Drive and like Google Drive better.  The interface is simpiler and faster to use.  Office Online isn't bad, and provides about 80% of the features of the paid versions.  I just think Google Drive is faster and streamlines better.

When you get spam, move it to your Spam Folder.  This trains the system to deal with spam messages.  However, with the email providers above, you should have this problem very rarely.

Satch

Spectrum Employee

Re: SPAM with *****myname***** in the subject

What Satch said. 

To be perfectly honest, we are not an Email company. We provide email for our internet users as a free convenience, and while we work diligently to keep it functioning for our customers needs, there are other free email providers that have a stronger focus on their email service that we just can't match. 

Using 3rd party mail software can sometimes help like Outlook as they have easy to use rule sets that will allow you to sort your mail better. Otherwise, Gmail is always my go-to for email needs.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions