Observer

RoadRunner Now Blocking SMTP sending from valid accounts outside the network

Up until a few days ago I could use my valid RoadRunner email account to sent messages through the RoadRunner SMTP server using a fat-client email program when NOT connected to Spectrum internet. Suddenly this no longer works; I get 554 connection rejected.

I know that some email service providers prohibit this. I've also seen older threads indicating that people seem to believe that RoadRunner was prohibiting it months or years ago. That is not the case. This was working for me just fine until approximately a week ago.

I can use the webmail, I just don't like it. I cannot in good conscience substitute my work email SMTP server to send personal messages, even if that system would let me use a "from" address that is not in that email network, which I doubt. Further, there is no legitimate "security" reason to deny this kind of access to people who have legitimate RoadRunner email accounts.

Being able to use a fat email client outside the network is actually a security benefit, because the password can be securely encrypted and stored within the client software so the user doesn't have to type it to access email. if the user gets keylogger malware on the system, it can't steal the password. Since webmail requires typing the password for each access, it is more vulnerable to keyloggers than fat client systems.

RoadRunner/Spectrum should restore my ability to use its SMTP server to send messages from my valid RoadRunner account regardless of what internet service provider I am using at the time.

6 REPLIES
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Re: RoadRunner Now Blocking SMTP sending from valid accounts outside the network

@KenDibblewrote:

Up until a few days ago I could use my valid RoadRunner email account to sent messages through the RoadRunner SMTP server using a fat-client email program when NOT connected to Spectrum internet. Suddenly this no longer works; I get 554 connection rejected.

I know that some email service providers prohibit this. I've also seen older threads indicating that people seem to believe that RoadRunner was prohibiting it months or years ago. That is not the case. This was working for me just fine until approximately a week ago.

I can use the webmail, I just don't like it. I cannot in good conscience substitute my work email SMTP server to send personal messages, even if that system would let me use a "from" address that is not in that email network, which I doubt. Further, there is no legitimate "security" reason to deny this kind of access to people who have legitimate RoadRunner email accounts.

Being able to use a fat email client outside the network is actually a security benefit, because the password can be securely encrypted and stored within the client software so the user doesn't have to type it to access email. if the user gets keylogger malware on the system, it can't steal the password. Since webmail requires typing the password for each access, it is more vulnerable to keyloggers than fat client systems.

RoadRunner/Spectrum should restore my ability to use its SMTP server to send messages from my valid RoadRunner account regardless of what internet service provider I am using at the time.

Ken,

I stopped using any ISP based emai providers years ago.  Roadrunner is too out-of date.  I would recommend switching to any webmail provider.  Gmail, YahooMail, even Outlook.com.  Than get one (and only one web-blocker for each of your web-browsers, as more than one can conflict.  I recommend Ad-Block Plus to block the banner ads.

Not only will get better security, you will be able to use that email account across any devices with a web-browser and Internet connection.  Outlook.com will give you a Microsoft account with basic MS Office functionality called Microsoft Office Online, does about 80% of the paid MS Office versions and is free.  Gmail from Google will give you access to Google Drive, which is it's own free online Office Suite integrated with Gmail.  Yahoo Mail doesn't have an Office suite counterpart, but is still very good.  Don't use Roadrunner, it's too out of date and lacks essential modern security features.

Satch

Observer

Re: RoadRunner Now Blocking SMTP sending from valid accounts outside the network

Satch,

Thanks. But the conventional wisdom on this stuff is just wrong.

GMail, Yahoo mail, and other free email systems spy on your communications and use them to send spam to you and the people with whom you communicate. Not"secure" to my way of thinking, and not  an acceptable option.

Newer email clients are actually less secure than older ones, because criminals are constantly targeting new software and finding ways to hack it, while they have lost interest in older, less-used software. Older exploits for older software eventually "drops off" the internet and no longer circulates.

Finally, compared to fat-client email software, all webmail is slow and clunky and lacks features.

Established Sharer

Ken, Spectrum spies on ALL of your Internet activity, not just e-mail -- they just don't advertise it, because it looks bad to make you pay so much for Internet (and TV and phone if you have the triple bundle) and then spy on you, as well.

You're free to do whatever you want regarding your e-mail, but don't expect Spectrum to bring their e-mail service out of the computer dark ages, because they have no interest in providing you with good e-mail.  Their current lousy e-mail is more than "good enough" in their eyes, especially if it encourages you to keep paying them every month.

Trusted Helper

@RickEwrote:

Ken, Spectrum spies on ALL of your Internet activity, not just e-mail -- they just don't advertise it, because it looks bad to make you pay so much for Internet (and TV and phone if you have the triple bundle) and then spy on you, as well.

You're free to do whatever you want regarding your e-mail, but don't expect Spectrum to bring their e-mail service out of the computer dark ages, because they have no interest in providing you with good e-mail.  Their current lousy e-mail is more than "good enough" in their eyes, especially if it encourages you to keep paying them every month.

I agree with Rick,

For instance if we look at Ransomware attacks,computers that were most infected were Windows XP machines.  Still out there in large numbers, but no updates since April 2014.  The Windows 10 computers that were up-to-date were not even touched by the attacks.  Up-to-date Windows 8.1 and Wiindows 7 up to date same story.

I agree with Ken that really old operating systems like Windows 98 are so old, that I could see were they would be less prone to attacks because they are not out there that much anymore.  The problem with any machine prior to Windows 7 is that the older Operating Systems were not built to handle the security needs of today.  I prefer webmail environments for being up-to-date and modern.  Cable providers were never intended to be email providers.  Dish providers were never intended to be email providers.  My view is that users are more likely to get infected with an out of date email provider and older operating system than with a current one.

Spectrum email was never intended to be above average because it's not what they are about.  They are cable, phone, and Internet.  Better to work with Gmail, Yahoo Mail, or Outlook.com and an up-to date operating system, with a good ad-blocker in each browser.  (And backing up your data to at least two different areas.)  I would take that over old email technology. Or for that matter an old no longer supported operating system.  Neither are wise to use in today's Internet world.

Satch

Observer

Yahoo is one of the most frequently hacked email providers in the world.  Almost every person I know who ever had a Yahoo email account has had that account hacked--some more than once. I don't understand why anybody would consider them safe.

The claim that XP was the most affected operating system by ransomware attacks has been debunked as Microsoft propaganda. The most-affected OS has been Windows 7. The facts are here:

https://twitter.com/craiu/status/865562842149392384/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2...

Spectrum only recently purchased Time-Warner Cable. RoadRunner email has been in existence for a very long time. In fact, free web mail is a relatively recent creation. Email (established as a publicly-available feature in the early 1980s) existed long before the world wide web (established in the early 1990s) did. The first email providers were ISPs, and they have more experience in doing that than any free webmail company.

Spectrum is not my favorite company in the world. In addition to reducing the functionality of RoadRunner after they bought it, they have introduced the concept of fighting with TV channel providers to the point of getting those channels removed from the lineup, to the northeastern United States, a place where we never saw that kind of garbage happening before now. This is Comcast-style foolishness, and I don't like it at all.

But Spectrum did not create RoadRunner, and RoadRunner certainly predates GMail and probably most other free webmail services.

There's no point in debating, however. I don't think Spectrum is going to require RoadRunner to restore the feature I want.  I just hate to see misinformation being propagated here.

Observer

Well I sort of hesitate to call attention to this, but it looks like this has been fixed. I've been able to use my RoadRunner account to send email from work (using an ISP that is not Spectrum) for the past four days successfully.

Thanks for correcting this situation.