TWC Employee
WolvenOne
Accepted Solution

RR Email With Windows 8

As many have found out, Windows 8 does not support any type of POP3 email account using the Windows Mail program, though there are several other options for still being able to use your Roadrunner Email while using Windows 8.

From any system that has access to browse the web, you should always be able to log into the Roadrunner Webmail though, for those of you who prefer using an email client, here are some other options. 

If you have a copy of Microsoft Office, that has Outlook in it, which still has a POP3 setup, though some versions of Outlook have been listed as not being compatible with Windows 8. Still, worth a try if you have it.

Another option is to download a free mail client, such as Mozilla ThunderbirdEudora OSE 1.0 (or here for older versions), or Incredimail. Each of these are free and offer POP3 email options.

If none of these options fit your fancy, some individuals have gone through a more indirect approach. They have used their website email from Outlook.com or Gmail.com to actually download their Roadrunner email, and then  setup Windows Mail to download from Outlook.com or Gmail.com through IMAP. This way requires a bit more computer knowledge, but it is an option nevertheless.

- Kyu

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
ujmnz

Re: RR Email With Windows 8

Another popular client that can be downloaded to windows 8 is Windows Live Mail as part of the windows essentials package.

I am a TWC employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s position, strategies or opinions.
Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
WolvenOne

It is an option I considered adding to my post, though I know there are some quirks with it, and did not want to cause more problems than cures. If you plan on installing the Essentials package, keep in mind that "Essentials requires .NET Framework 3.5. Windows 8 comes with version 4.5, which isn't altogether backward compatible.", though work arounds are available. For more information on installing Essentials, view this article on PC World.

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
MegaMasterX

Another notable addition is that tablets and devices running Windows RT (Such as my Microsoft Surface!) will not be able to utilize third party appliations such as Live mail due to the inability to run traditional non-ARM programs. To my knowledge, Microsoft hasn't said anythng about Outlook on WinRT, and the maill application can only utilize IMAP (Which RR doesn't operate on).

More information can be found at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/pop-email-accounts

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
stat

re: Windows8 email

In setting up the Outlook.com account, they ask for Server address and Doman.

What do I use for server address?

What do I use for Doman?

Thanks.

stat

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
MegaMasterX

While TWC doesn't support the setup of other email providers, you can find more help for that at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app

Please use plain text.
Rookie
sjust

So in others words we just need to find a new mail service that works with all protocols and has some sort of security. I myself will just change everything over to gmail and not use this service at all.

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
HaroldusMagnus

Time Warner's sugguestions amount to the doctor telling you, "Since your arm is broken, just use the other one."  How about a real fix instead?  Comcast just made IMAP solution for Windoze 8 Mail.  Why not do the same for Road Runner?  Maybe time to get out of the 1990s, ya think?

Please use plain text.
Rookie
ewade

FYI: I called my local radrunner support.  Although they did not know how to set up roadrunner e-mail on the default windows 8 mail program, they did have the information I needed to do it.  Set-up an account in the e-mail program (add account) and choose the "imap" option.  In the settings, the incoming and outgoing e-mail server is mail.twc.com the incoming port is 110 and the outgoing port is 587.  Worked like a charm.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
ewade

Goofed up the incoming port. That should have been 993 and not 110.
Please use plain text.