Participant

New Webmail unusable on Windows 10

On Windows 10 Pro (1709 version), the new Spectrum webmail is such a mess that I cannot use it.

I have NO ICONS in the new Spectrum email! It is extremely difficult to navigate as I have no idea what "q" or "'", or "/" stand for and there are many other mystifying markers where the icons should be. I also have NO Inbox or most other folders listed on the left side. Plus, there is text on top of text. Plain text email does not display properly. My address book was NOT imported. All I have is emails in the inbox.

Spectrum support told me that ONLY Internet Explorer and Google Chrome browsers are supported and, as an after thought, he thought Firefox might be supported but no others like Vivaldi, Opera, or forks of Firefox like Pale Moon, Basilisk, etc. I have ZERO problems with TWC webmail on my default browser or the others I use. NONE of the SAME BROWSERS work with the new Spectrum webmail. Yet Spectrum support told me that the problems are with the browser makers NOT Spectrum which makes little sense. TWC can write software that works with all my browsers but Spectrum cannot?

5 REPLIES
Helper

Re: New Webmail unusable on Windows 10

@Desiree wrote:

Yet Spectrum support told me that the problems are with the browser makers NOT Spectrum which makes little sense. TWC can write software that works with all my browsers but Spectrum cannot?

Spectrum is likely using its limited IT resources to code to the three or four browsers that 99% of customers use (Internet Explorer/Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari). Eventually, once those four are stable, they can focus on writing code for the other lesser used browsers you mentioned.

Proven Sharer

Are you accessing your mail on your own PC / Laptop?  Why not use an email client (Thunderbird, etc.) to acces Spectrum email instead of the web interface?

I try to avoid using webmail whenver I can.  I only using when I am not near one of my devices.

Participant

Basilisk is a FORK of Firefox 52 ESR so it is not some lesser unknown really different browser.  I have exactly the same extensions on Basilisk that I have on Fx 52.9 ESR and they work alike except that now Basilisk is fine security wise and Fx 52.9 ESR is potentially dangerous. Vivaldi uses Chromium as its base so it too is not some unknown, weird browser.  It uses Google's store for extensions.  Microsoft has announced the DISCONTINUANCE of IE 11 on Windows 10.  So, no point in making it work with the new email.

I can't authenticate on Fx on the new Spectrum mail but when I use the old TWC mail (that should be useable through Nov 6 as that is the date the Symantec security cert ends) I can authenticate just fine.  I was told by Spectrum that ONLY IE (NOT Edge) and Chrome browsers will EVER work with the new Spectrum email.  Safari does not work with it either.

If Spectrum IT is so limited then why make these changes (as there is NOTHING WHAT SO EVER wrong with the old email system)?  Spectrum should wait until they have time to get more browsers working with the new email before forcing users to use it.  That is what a good ISP would do. 

Participant

I have used Thunderbird since its inception about 15 years ago.  So, yes, I get emails in all my Spectrum accounts on my two desktop machines in TB.  However, sometimes I need to access email via webmail. Webmail IS THE PRIMARY ACCOUNT AND WHERE ACCOUNT CHANGES ARE MADE not in TB, or Outlook, or any other email client.

I've had TWC broadband since 2001 and have not had significant problems with webmail until now.  Further, you do realize that apparently Spectrum will end our ability to access our TWC grandfathered accounts via the twc website sometime in the not too distant future? (I think that will happen shortly after Hawaii, which will be the last part of TWC to have all remaining legacy customers forced to Spectrum,) occurs.  That will be next June according to Stop the Cap and probably not long after that there will cease to be this site, and these forums, and we will have to access our email accounts via Spectrum webmail if for no other reason than to see how much space we are using of the amount allotted.  Also, we may want to delete a subaccount or add another or change passwords, etc.  I have been told by local former TWC employees (now Spectrum employees) that this will happen next year.  So, I need it to work even if I use Thunderbird mostly. 

Proven Sharer

And your response is just one more reason I don't use my ISP's email as my primary, secondary, or tertiary email.  I've had an account at panix (shell, usenet) since 1995.  My primary email hasn't changed since.  I use gmail and yahoo, too.  They move with me if/when I change ISP's, and they are always kept up to date.