Spectator

Need email client because Time Warner email accessed via Webmail IS UNUSABLE.

I lost my SSD hard drive last week (which was my entire computer) including all of the email in my Windows Live Mail client (although backed-up at Carbonite) -- so I am coming up on a new computer.  I have a TWC email account (austin.rr.com) - and I would lke to dispense with using the Windows Live Mail client since  WLM is no longer supported or available from Microsoft.

I would just use Webmail as my interface, but accessing my email via a browser IS UNUSABLE - sometimes a minute or more just to view an email or to get back to my Inbox.  I am using Windows 10, but not seeing good things about the new Mail app included with Windows 10.

So am looking for recomemdations on an email client that works well with my TWC email.  Was using POP3 protocol and have never used the IMAP protocol.  What kind of experience has anyone had with different email clients and/or email protocols.

Or shoud I just forgot the who TWC email access and consider switching to another vendor because it is getting so expensive to maintain my TWC relationship.

ron in round rock

P.S. I guess I will have to come back here periodically since there my email is not working, and I assume tht is where I would get a notification of a post.

ron in round rock

3 REPLIES
Boz
Sharer

Re: Need email client because Time Warner email accessed via Webmail IS UNUSABLE.

I strongly suggest moving away from email that is tied to your ISP.

Consider something like gmail.com, outlook.com, or yahoo.com for free solutions, or fastmail.fm for a highly rated paid service.

See https://www.thebalance.com/best-free-email-accounts-1356641 or https://www.technorms.com/14035/10-free-email-service-providers or do a Google search for other options.

Established Sharer

Re: Need email client because Time Warner email accessed via Webmail IS UNUSABLE.

Free and open-source is Mozilla Thunderbird.  Thunderbird supports connecting via POP3 or IMAP. 

I recommend you sign up for Gmail or Yahoo! Mail, ditch ISP-dependent email, and begin to migrate over to an email service that:

1.  Will be accessible anywhere you have a broswer / internet connection,

2.  Will offer better SPAM protection, and

3.  Will move with you should you change providers.

You can attached several email accounts to the client, so you can connect your gmail account AND your TWC/RR account simultaneously, and look at both at the same time.

Now with the protocols....

POP3 moves email from the mail server to the local client, leaving nothing on the server.  You only have access to downloaded email on that one client once you POP the server and it's downloaded.   IMAP copies email from the mail server to the local client, leaving a copy on the server.  The action you take on the client will be mirrored on the server (i.e. - You delete the email on the client, it moves to trash; same thing happens with the copy on the server).  You can access email anywhere (with a browser or your client).  You really want to move to IMAP.

Good luck!

Spectator

This response from dstoffa pretty much says it all - DITCH THE ISP

which I was/am in the process of doing.  Was willing to download the Microsoft Windows Live Mail client one last time to finish getting off of the Time-Warner (now Spectrum)  ISP, but that app isn't even available from Microsoft any more and I am really leary in getting software from places like CNET, particularly TOCOWS or places like that.

So I added my account to my wife's laptop, whose email address I am in the process of moving away from the Time-Warner ISP also.

AND, I particularly liked the simple explanation of POP vs. IMAP provided by dstoffa.

I would mark this response as ANSWERED to my initial question, but don't see the option to mark it as such.

ron in round rock

[EDIT]  P.S.  I found the Accept Answer after I logged in with my TWC ID.