Rookie

Email Account Deleted

My email account at twc.com was deleted in its entirety and, apparently, cannot be restored.  That's right, years of saved emails, some important, are gone and cannot be retrieved.  Oh, and that's not even the best part.  I was told that the account cannot be restored - meaning that the email address is no longer usable.  I'm invisible to the world via email.  Think about that - totally a black box to everyone trying to contact me by email.  However, I know that what I was told is clearly not the complete truth.  While on the phone (for hours) with TW reps, my email address could be restored by changing passwords for a matter of minutes to receive test emails; but was disabled within minutes after creation.  Thank you; truly, thank you.

9 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Email Account Deleted

Why was your account deleted? Did you change your level of service?
Lead Moderator

Good morning. 

In checking with our Social Media Customer Care team, and viewing the account, I show that the account is not deleted but locked. A ticket has been submitted to investigate this.

I am also seeing that you were transferred to a specific department on the 26th. Had you been able to speak with that department? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Trusted Helper

@Disgtuntled wrote:

My email account at twc.com was deleted in its entirety and, apparently, cannot be restored.  That's right, years of saved emails, some important, are gone and cannot be retrieved.  Oh, and that's not even the best part.  I was told that the account cannot be restored - meaning that the email address is no longer usable.  I'm invisible to the world via email.  Think about that - totally a black box to everyone trying to contact me by email.  However, I know that what I was told is clearly not the complete truth.  While on the phone (for hours) with TW reps, my email address could be restored by changing passwords for a matter of minutes to receive test emails; but was disabled within minutes after creation.  Thank you; truly, thank you.

Hello,

This is a classic example of why Web Mail is better than ISP based email.  Get a Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or Outlook.com account, and a web-blocker if you don't already have one to block banner ads for each browser.  (More than one blocker will slow things down.)  My favorite is Ad Block Plus.  You will than have that Webmail account for the rest of your life.  Better security, more storage, and it doesn't matter what ISP you use.  If you use any ISP based email and you change providers, your email is gone.

However, webmail stays with you forever, and is avaliable on any device with a browser and Internet access.

Satch

Rookie

Sarah,  Astute observation, and painful lesson learned at my end.  I started making the transistion yesterday.  Spectrum/TWC seems to have a number of helpful folks that want to help me, but none that can solve my problem.  Each of their attempts to solve my problem revives my email account for long enough to send a few test emails or receive a random incoming email with coincidently overlapping timing; then locked yet again.  I have given up any expectation of permanent revival, and have better things to do with my time.  Disgruntled

Rookie

No - my terminology is more accurate.  My email address is effectively DELETED and rendered UNUSABLE.  Several helpful reps have "assisted" me at the front end during my calls.  My account gets unlocked (after a password change) for long enough to send and receive test emails (my folders and saved emails are not visible), is then LOCKED again shortly after revival.  I made three attempts - with customer reps including the one through social media - without success.  So, despite the good intentions of the reps at the front end, it seems to be time to give up and move on.   Ask yourself what the impact on your life would be if this happened to YOU. 

Rookie

No changes to my account.  I can't seem to receive an answer.  The first rep was SILENT (total silence = refused to talk) when I asked.  The second rep told me that it was because an email client was used.  The third rep told me that reason was not credible.  So, I can only advise you to follow the advice elsewhere in this thread. 

Rookie

I have finally been informed that my email address cannot be reactivated.  The representative read a script to me explaining the situation, which probably indicates that others are affected by deactivated email addresses.  As I can best tell from the script and the questions that I asked the rep, TWC/Spectrum was performing some type of update and, during the update, something went wrong resulting in my email address being permanently disabled.  Not expected to have the problem solved to my satisfaction, I directed all of my contacts (at least those I can remember) to my Gmail address on the day that I first contacted TWC/Spectrum.  An infinite number of apologies can't compensate for the loss of a decade of saved emails, and a decade of using the lost email addy for my contact information.

Rookie

Wow - in this digital age, ask yourself how would this affect your life?

Observer

Sorry this happened to you.

I got into computer back in '75. Got email access a few years later, back when you had to know the routing from your computer to the computer you were sending to. Darpanet days.

Despite working for the second largest computer corp at the time, when PC's first came along, I never trusted my emails to reside on the maniframe, and would download to the PC on my desk and back up to floppies every so often.

I highly recommend taking possesion of your emails and preserving them on your device no matter which ISP you use. That minimizes the amount that might be lost in the case of outages.