N/A

Earthlink Wants $4.95 /mo for Email via Spectrum/TWC

[ Edited ]

For some forgotten reason when I first got TWC service thirteen years ago, I chose the Earthlink email service.  This has been my setup since 5/17/2004, and it has always been a free service bundled with the Internet part of my cable bill.  However, I have now received an email from Earthlink  stating "Our records show that you are receiving EarthLink email service but are not currently being billed for it or an internet service that includes email"  and the note goes on to say "As a result, your EarthLink email account will be inactivated after June 23, 2017 - UNLESS YOU ACT SOON. For just $4.95 per month, you can enjoy all the perks of EarthLink Premium Mail and keep your EarthLink email address(es).

I've talked to a Spectrum rep who said my service is grandathered in and that Earthlink should not be sending this billing notice.    I then spoke with an Earthlink rep that held firm on the legitimacy of their request. 

How do I get the two parties to agree and give me an official answer?  

It would seem to me that some revenue flow must happen to support my use of Earthlink via TWC/Spectrum.

9 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Earthlink Wants $4.95 /mo for Email via Spectrum/TWC

@RichD

If the domain name of your email is @eartlink.net, then that is not a TWC or Spectrum product. It would be an Earthlink product and you would need to contact Earthlink for assistance.   Our email domain names end in @rr.com or @twc.com and are provided for free.  

James M.
Spectrum Social Media Customer Care
Forums Community Manager

N/A

[ Edited ]

Yes, I see that that is the current way of handling new subscribers.  However, when I signed up with TWC in 2004, subscribers were given the option of two alternative email systems: RoadRunner or Earthlink.  I presume that TWC at the time had some type of revenue sharing agreement with Earthlink.  At the time, I believe we paid $100 / month for the Triple Play.

I did not alter my service since that time, but over the thirteen years the service evolved - Triple Play expired, we upgraded our internet service to Ultimate 200 Mbps, and the Spectrum acquisition occurred.  It seems to me that I am clearly a TWC / Spectrum internet subscriber, but my email is serviced by a legacy arrangement from TWC / Earthlink. The question is - does Spectrum honor the deal they originally made when I first became a subscriber?  Shouldn't my internet service price be reduced by $4.95 to balance the fact that I don't use TWC or Spectrum email service?

Valued Contributor

Few years ago I got hit with an extra $10/month via TWC for having Earthlink account through them when it used to be same price (they even had AOL for a while).  I paid for a year of Earthlink mail (about $50 for the year) and spent the year moving all accounts to the RR accounts and then did not renew.

/Dan

Newcomer

I got the same email. The people I talked to at TWC (Spectrum) seemed to know nothing about this, teling me i need to talk to Earthlink. The person at Earthlink I talked to said that the email was correct and that TWC and Earthlink no longer had an agreement. I have not heard anything about being granfathered in (I have had this earthlink ID for 15 years).  May be time to switch my email to Gmail or Yahoo (waht a pain this will be).

Newcomer

Ditto situation for me.  I have had EarthLink forever  and always shied away from a change knowing what a nightmare it will be to switch my email account everywhere. Spectrum is supposed to come in and save time warner from it's horrible reputation, but everything I see and hear is they are only making things worse. I hated Time Warner, I need a much worse word now for spectrum. AT&T here I come 

Newcomer

I have the exact same problem!! This is nonsense!

N/A

So, it's evolving - I've found out that in October, 2014  we changed from a Pep (?) package that cost $139.99 / month with "Earthlink Standard" internet to a Triple Play Plus package that had "Standard Internet"  and the word "Earthlink" was dropped from the detailed description. - price dropped to $109.99, a $20. 00 saving.   Little did we know that we were changing to a package where no royalty would flow to Earthlink and my email id was at risk.  This was never pointed out by the TWC service rep and neither I nor Earthlink were ever given notice of this impact.  Earthlink royalties probably ceased, but they apparently only do periodic audits  to verify revenue flow from email users, and this was not picked uo until May 2017, when we received the email from them.

I need to research how I can retain the Earthlink email at the lowest out of pocket cost.

Earthlink is still asking for $4.99/month, but has offered an annual chage of $39.99 as well.

Sharer

RichD wrote:

So, it's evolving - I've found out that in October, 2014  we changed from a Pep (?) package that cost $139.99 / month with "Earthlink Standard" internet to a Triple Play Plus package that had "Standard Internet"  and the word "Earthlink" was dropped from the detailed description. - price dropped to $109.99, a $20. 00 saving.   Little did we know that we were changing to a package where no royalty would flow to Earthlink and my email id was at risk.  This was never pointed out by the TWC service rep and neither I nor Earthlink were ever given notice of this impact.  Earthlink royalties probably ceased, but they apparently only do periodic audits  to verify revenue flow from email users, and this was not picked uo until May 2017, when we received the email from them.

I need to research how I can retain the Earthlink email at the lowest out of pocket cost.

Earthlink is still asking for $4.99/month, but has offered an annual chage of $39.99 as well.

Earthlink owns the domain, and controls your account(s).  For 2-1/2 years, you've reduced your internet costs by taking the new bundle.  For $3.50 a month, you can keep your current email addresses.  It will take you almost 15 years of monthly fees to earthlink to offset what you've saved the past 30 months...

Pay earthlink if you email address is that important to you.

N/A

Yes, and I like the independence from TWC/Spectrum - I can change cable suppliers without any impact on my email.  Done.