Rookie

E-mails not getting thru

My bank (Key Bank as well as a retailer (Lands End) both have advised me that their e-mail notifications are being returned as undeliverable to them. Many customers. Told me to switch my address or be billed for defaultingto paper billings. ($25 mo.) This just started. What is going on?

10 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: E-mails not getting thru

@AndyM wrote:

My bank (Key Bank as well as a retailer (Lands End) both have advised me that their e-mail notifications are being returned as undeliverable to them. Many customers. Told me to switch my address or be billed for defaultingto paper billings. ($25 mo.) This just started. What is going on?

Hi Andy,

Spectrum no longer updates the old legacy TWC Road Runner email servers.  As a result, many of the problems that you describe, like emails not going through, are common.  Road Runner is fifteen years old.

For better security and email reliability we recommend switching to a web-based email provider such as  Google's Gmail, Yahoo Mail, or free Outlook Mail with Outlook.com  Additionally, get one (and only one) ad blocker in each web browser to block banner ads in web mail.  Cable providers were never intended to be email providers.

You will not only have better email security, more storage, and a more modern interface by switching to any one of the above web mail providers, you will also be able to access your email from any device with a web-browser and Internet connection.  Also, webmail will stay with you for the rest of your life, as long as you log in to your account periodically.

Make the switch.  You will be glad you did!

Satch

Not applicable

Is 'Satch' a Spectrum company employee and/or representative?

Trusted Helper

@OneOfSeven wrote:

No,

Just a customer with a good 30 years of cable experience.

Satch

Helper

@OneOfSeven wrote:

I'm pretty sure a Spectrum employee wouldn't advise you to use someone else's product.

Not applicable

Apparently there is, or imminently soon, not an email service from Spectrum with which to compete. It appears to be more an announcement of diminishing service which many of us paid to use.
Highlighted
Not applicable

Your statement "Cable providers were never intended to be email providers." is misleading and ambiguous. Spectrum acts as not only a cable TV provider but as an Internet Service Provider (ISP). Internet services, such as standard email services, were added to other cable services to attract customers. In fact, many customers do not use Spectrum cable TV services but use only the slow, error prone internet services, such as email because no other provider is available at the price in their areas. Over the years email addresses have been used to create accounts, act as a means of emergency contact and account restorations. To glibly dismiss, fail to support, and discontinue any of these services, such as email, is irresponsible and shows a lack of integrity by the ISP toward its customers who pay for the service. As another example of ambiguity, "30 years of cable experience" could be nothing more than an employee watching terrible TV programming. This doesn't seem to be the credentials for someone extolling the virtues of a company that works via scams rather than holding the company to a higher standard of service.
Helper

@OneOfSeven, you're right that if Spectrum is going to offer a service it should fully and completely support the service to ensure it is as user friendly and stable as possible. My problem with using Spectrum email for vitally important things is that you are tied down to Spectrum forever regardless of a competitor offering you something better just because you can't risk losing all the saved emails from the years.

Observer

reds91185,

Just because you use Spectrum/TWC's email address doesn't mean you are tied to them forever. You can use a mail program on your PC or Mac to download all of your emails.

The biggest problem is switching to another email address is notifying all the contacts that I have given this address to in the last 9 years. Comcast -> TWC ->Spectrum, the service gets worse with each change/buyout/merger.

Helper

@Mdblocher wrote:

reds91185,

Just because you use Spectrum/TWC's email address doesn't mean you are tied to them forever. You can use a mail program on your PC or Mac to download all of your emails.

Yes you can use Outlook or one of many other programs to access your Spectrum email, but if you ever want to cancel your Spectrum account, for whatever reason...price, competition, move, etc... your Spectrum email is gone.