Observer

Delayed Emails

Hello is anyone else having delayed emails?  This continually happens to us.  3 emails that were sent yesterday morning we didn't get till last evening sometime after 7pm and they were time stamped 10, 11 & 1 yesterday.  Just found out we haven't gotten more that were sent today.  It's not just from one person either.  Thanks.

31 REPLIES
Observer

Re: Delayed Emails

Yes, we are having the same issue for about the last month.     Emails that were sent to me at 2:30 p.m. today were never received until 7:30 p.m. tonight.    It's very frustrating.     We have had Road Runner email for years and never had this issue until now.     I have checked the headers on the emails and do not see where someone's server is delaying the messages.     I also use a gmail address and those emails are not delayed.   It's only the Road  Runner emails that are delayed.

Observer

Have you reported it?  I did.

Observer

Not yet because I didn't think it was on my end.    Initially it seemed to be one person.   Now it's multiple people's emails are delayed.   So I know it's on my end.   I looked at the header on a delayed email from yesterday.  It was sent Tuesday, February 28 at 19:37:48.   It shows the Road Runner server saying it's for my email address and it says Wednesday, March 1 at 00:23:46.    The emails that come through normal have the same date and time as it was sent.    You can look at the header of your email by going to file and properties. 

Browser

I have reported it and support pointed the finger at the other provider.  Of course the other provider pointed the finger at TWC (saying it was not answering the "request to send the email").   Just this morning, I have examples that show other "senders" are being delayed to TWC.   My guess is that it's something to do with the Spectrum change.

Here is how to find out where the delay is:

Use your email client to Show headers or view source

Copy from top to the Message-ID tag 

Paste into:   toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/messageheader/

This will give you the delay and the two servers.  I've had 16+ hour delays (and 0 seconds too)

Browser

Tracking this down (on my own), it seems like TWC "throttles" incoming email from an IP address.  So if a company uses (for instance) SalesForce.com to send email to more than 1000 TWC customers in a 24 hour period it will be blocked for 24 hours.  It doesn't seem like the adhere to the 24 hour block, but shorter blocks.   Also why emails during the day gets delayed, but not the nighttime email.

Reference: http://postmaster.rr.com/res_mail_system

They must have lifted the limit for Gmail servers, but it appears to have a throttle in for GoDaddy and other provider servers. So forwarding from GoDaddy (who have multiple servers), will delay some emails an not others, depending on the sending IP address.

So a company can't send email to more than 1000 TWC/RR customer a day without being blocked.  I suspect the merge to "Spectrum" has thrown their incoming email counts out of wack. 

TWC needs to revisit this rule, as it impacts users' email because it's sent by a popular company to more that 1000 TWC customers.

Observer

I reported the delayed emails a couple of days after my last post.   They said there is a problem with their email server.   They are aware of it.   It was slated to be fixed within 3-5 business days.     I'm still having delayed emails.   Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Browser

I don't believe it ... They've claimed for weeks that it wasn't their issue, now they have a change of heart?  

It's only from certain "high volume" senders, so we'll see if they get it fixed.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Browser

Well, we're on about 4 business days, no solution.  Of course, it probably is weeks if you didn't it a couple days after your post three weeks ago.

ris66, Did they give any indication of what the "problem" was?

My configuration has been working without issue for 10 years prior.  It's been 4-6 weeks that there has been an issue.  Why RR is now sending a "Connection Refused" to the sending server is the big unknown.

Hoping for the best, but expecting silence.

Highlighted
Observer

Mine are still delayed as well.  I told them numerous times I only use webmail and when they called me last week they said they closed the case and it was my email client causing the delay.  What???  I don't use a email client & told them so many times.  He said he'd reopen the case & tell them that.  Still haven't heard anything & I'm sure it will continue.