Rookie

Cannot send files over VPN error 0x80072746

This has been going on now for about a week now. I can no longer send files over VPN connection from Outlook or Windows10 Mail. 
Service rep. told me it's a problem with email clients and to use webMail browser, which I believe is a cop-out. My email clients worked fine with no VPN connection and worked in the past with the VPN. This just started happening.

I called back and was told they only send a signal and do not support email it was for me to figure out. Again a cop-out, They provide the email servers so they have a responsibility.

As far as the VPN it has always worked and I have received emails with no issue before. It seems to be a change on their end. I have not changed any setting or anything else on my laptop.

This is very frustrating transferring files via USB... people waiting for my files on their end. This all started about a week ago, they need to sort this out, it is a service paid for and included with the internet signal they send.

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Cannot send files over VPN error 0x80072746

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages and your zip code...Any bad channels will cause VPN's to seriously malfunction.

Rookie

Tech support checked modem and said it was ok.

Tried to email with other devices + VPN still same error -- outgoing mail server problem. I can recive mail just fine.

Lead Moderator

@DS78

You are able to send a receive while NOT using the VPN?

I would suggest checking the set up of your email client.

POP Settings

• Account Type: POP or POP3
  • Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
  • Incoming Server - POP3 port: 995
  • Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
  • Outgoing Server - SMTP port: 587*

* Note: If you are able to receive, but not send, emails while on your mobile device, you'll need to use your mobile carrier's outgoing SMTP server and port.

• Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address, for example:
    • johndoe@[division].rr.com
    • johndoe@roadrunner.com
    • johndoe@twc.com
  • Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
  • SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

IMAP Settings

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
  • Incoming Server –IMAP port: 993
  • Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
  • Outgoing Server – SMTP port: 587*

* Note: If you are able to receive, but not send, emails while on your mobile device, you'll need to use your mobile carrier's outgoing SMTP server and port.

• Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address, for example:
    • johndoe@[division].rr.com
    • johndoe@roadrunner.com
    • johndoe@twc.com
  • Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
  • SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

Note: Using both IMAP and POP simultaneously or POP across multiple devices can cause connection/mail synchronization error messages when trying to send, receive or access new email such as the following:

“The mail server denied access to your account because another mail client was using it.”

To avoid these errors we recommend using IMAP on all devices.

POP and IMAP are two different email protocols used to access your email account.

POP3 – Post Office Protocol

• When you access email from different devices, POP network protocol creates a copy of your emails and might delete the originals from the server, depending upon how you configure your email.
  • Actions taken on an email are limited to the device or computer on which they were performed.
    • You cannot access those changes using webmail or another email client on other devices or computers.
  • You may only be able to see some email messages on some devices, or you might have to download some messages multiple times.
  • You might prefer POP if:
    • You only use one Internet-connected device for your email.
    • You want to be able to have access to original emails on which you took action on other devices. If you accidentally delete an email you need on one device, you might still be able to access it on another device.

IMAP – Internet Messaging Access Protocol

• Email messages are left on the server, similar to Cloud storage.
  • You can access email from multiple computers and mobile devices at any given time and will see the same results.
  • Your email is updated simultaneously across all platforms used to check your email: phones, tablets, computers, etc.
  • Your email is stored on remote email servers until you delete them.
  • You might prefer IMAP if:
    • You check email from a variety of Internet-connected devices.
    • You mostly use webmail, such as your email, that you want to sync with your Internet-connected devices.
Rookie

Thank you for the reply,

I use IMAP, all setting are as listed in your post. 

My mail worked previously (no changes on my end). About the last week of August I could no longer send (only recive) email over VPN.