kr3
Newcomer

Can't send emails with my own email address

Starting Tuesday 9/26/17 I was unable to send emails using Thunderbird (SMTP server mail.twc.com). Turned out my email password was no longer valid. My password had a special character in it, and TWC now allows only letters and digits. After a password reset I could log into the mail.twc.com server, but still could not send emails. My TWC assigned email address is something@roadrunner.com, but I don't use this address. I have my own email address with my own domain name (something@mydomain.com). I have always used this email address as my "From" address in Thunderbird, and it has worked for many years. Starting Tuesday it is rejecting my sent emails saying the email address is wrong. I can only send emails if I set my email address to the roadrunner address. I really need to be able to use my own email address, as I have a small business on the side. TWC customer support acknowleges that this is a problem with their servers, but they have no estimate of when it might be fixed. How can I escalate this problem to a higher priority? I suspect a LOT of people can no longer use their own email addresses! I need a fix now.

7 REPLIES
Observer

Re: Can't send emails with my own email address

Heck, I can't even send emails with my regular old rr address.  

Rookie

Same probkem. It is now 8/29 late pm.
Changed my SMTP OUT setting in username to be username
niw I can send outgoing email fine BUT ONLY if I send uding email address @Twc.com My primary email address is gmail.com AND I CAN SEND NOTHING USING THAT EMAIL ADDRESS!!
Geez guys!!
Browser

There are multiple threads on this forum about this. Here is what I found that is the root cause of the problem.

I found yesterday that I also was experiencing this same issue. This morning after some searching I was able to resolve in my mail server. What Spectrum has changed is that they are looking for the MAIL FROM Reverse-Path or Return-Path to be is the Spectrum login and not another email address. This is a function described in the SMTP RFC 5321 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321). I found in Mercury Mail that I can set a Forced SMTP Sender with that login and it works. It does not affect the reply-to or whom the email came from.

I primarily use Thunderbird as my client and could not find a way to specify this in the setting to use the internal SMTP engine. Not sure about other clients, some may support this setting. I would say that Spectrum needs to change back whatever setting they recently changed, as it will be a large problem for many users that have email addresses other than their Spectrum address.

I hope that this helps to clarify the issue in more detail.

Newcomer

LOGIN to server smpt-server.tmcny.rr.com failed... again

I am no geek  on  these issues, but clearly  this  started w  TWC/spectrum   while I was  away for 2 weeks.  Funny  thing was, I could log on to Spectrum directly  in late Sept  and  use  their  clunky email service, and  even  send  out a  few simple  emails.  Now  home on biz  laptop  and  with  Thunderbird ,  : ok to  receive messages, open attchments, email to embedded links..   however  can  not  send nor  reply .  After calling a  bright  TW/charter  tech csr  he  took  little  time  in explaining  a  recent upgrade   results  w  not  only  mozilla  tbird but  many 3rd party email services  and they were  'working' on it. Thanked  him, and  would  monitor this.  I'll use  the  TW spectrum  email server  if necessary ( ugh, a most akward address book, and difficult  to  reply  to a new  contact) or I'll confuse  my  clients  by using  gmail .. My  tw/chrtr  survey response was:   if  this  is a  'problem'  being  "fixed" .. why  no mass mailing from a media  giant, senistive about  their  fragile  image.... for example , If  FedEx  sees  a tree fall in the  road in British Columbia, they Email  the freakin  world  about a  potential service  interruption, ..It's  not  the  glitch,  it's  the repeated  pain  of  discovery  and  work around that forces  us  , the  lazy, to find  new & better solutions.

Observer

I can confirm I also have been hit by this.  For YEARS with TWC and up until recently on Spectrum I've had a different reply-to email address to maintain a common email address across different work and personal accounts.

Basically it boils down to this.   Until this change happened you could have a reply to address in Apple Mail or Outlook like:

myname@myowndomain.whatever 

and authenticate with your TWC/Spectrum credentials:

twcname@region.rr.com

But after this change if the reply from is not exactly the same as twcname@region.rr.com it fails to send.    

So I’m receiving emails, but sending fails with invalid username password incorrect or cannot connect to port 587 or connection timeout.  Customer support says they are aware of this.  Got automated call saying it’s fixed, but still can’t send. Iasked for credit, but they say email is free.  

Observer

This magically started working again today, just as it has worked for many many years before.

I can again send mails from custom domain.   myname@mydomain.com as the reply to address in Outlook 2010 and Apple Mail.   Again.