Rookie

Can’t send email when I’m out of town

I live in the Albany, NY area. I’m traveling this weekend and attempted to send an email via my nycap.rr.com address, but got the following error: Cannot Send Mail: The user name or password for “SMTP:aweise@nycap.rr.com@mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com” is incorrect. I just recently changed my password, so I know it’s correct. I can receive email just fine, too. Why does this happen? Am I using the wrong outgoing server? Is it blocking me because I’m on a network not local to my home? I’m using the native mail client on my Apple iPhone and iPad. Thanks!
6 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: Can’t send email when I’m out of town

It is blocking you because you're on a network not local to your home.

If you go to the Spectrum online email portal, https://webmail.spectrum.net , you can post from there.  At least you could last time I tried it a couple years ago.

Rookie

Why do they do this? What are the security implications of me sending email while I'm not at home (assuming that's the issue)? What's the difference between me doing this from Buffalo, NY compared to me being on my office network in Albany?

I pay Spectrum plenty of money every month. I don't see why I'm not able to do something as simple as this.

Lead Moderator

Are able to send and receive from webmail?   Webmail.Spectrum.net

You should be able to send and receive from that within the US.

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Yes, I can send and receive from webmail. I just can't from my native mail client.

Lead Moderator

What do you have set as the outgoing mail server? 

You can review settings here: Email Support

We have also migrated most domains over to using webmail.spectrum.net

Are you able to login there and send/receive? 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

I had mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com as the outgoing server. However, I changed that to mail.twc.com while I was having the problems and I still wasn't able to connect to it - whether or not I used SSL. 

I typically don't use the webmail interface, but that did work. It's just easier to use my native mail client.