bt1
Newcomer

tc8717 wired ethernet only connects at 100mpbs - solved

I ran into this problem and finally got past it so I thought I'd document it.

I have a tc8717 modem.  The wifi is not active on it as I'm not paying for it.  I had a couple of older 100mbps things conncted wired to the modem.  When connecting a newer 1gb/sec thing, it couldn't get an ip address.

Solution: unplug everything, plug in only the gigabit thing to port 1, and power cycle the modem.  Then the gigabit thing gets an ip address.

( Spectrum appears to have "customized" this modem, the admin app  says it's not in bridge mode, yet it hands a bridge address to my old 54g router.   It says there's nothing connected, when obviously there is.  So don't trust the admin app. )

On the plus side, now that I can get a gigabit wired connection to this modem, my download speed is 235mbps.

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: tc8717 wired ethernet only connects at 100mpbs - solved

It's in bridged mode and you do need a new router to handle 1 gig ...

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

I am under the impression that only one port will be active on the combo modem/router when set in bridge mode (i.e. - the wifi is turned off, and it will only function as a modem - not a router, and not a switch).

You'll need a gigabit router connected to the Spectrum supplied modem/router combo (which is set to function as a modem only) to connect multiple gigabit devices.  Your gigabit router will supply wifi and be your gateway.

Expert

sometimes they will toss a seperate public IP per port... Are capable of 8 or more.

TWC res class is supposed to only send one.

It is not acting as a router, simply a bridged modem

Others will only assign a single public IP.

Correct configuration is to attach external routers wan port to port one  on bridged modem, leave other 3 ports empty.