Newcomer

service always goes down when it rains

good afternoon support. i'm having a continuous issue where my service completely goes out when it rains. it doesn't matter if it's a moderate or hard downfall, any rain causes my service to completely go out.

it rained today and my service is severely degraded. i've reset my cable modem and router and i'm getting the following speeds:

17.17 Mbps down/5.22 up with a ping of 60 to another local internet provider via Speedtest.net

this is with my desktop wired via cat6 to the modem. i should be getting at least 100 down and 10 up; i consistenty get these speeds when it's sunny and dry out.

modem is Technicolor MTA TC8717T.

Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpgany help would be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES
Helper

Re: service always goes down when it rains

You likely have damaged coax or exposed or corroded splitters that are letting water enter the system...possibly at the service drop. You can inspect all cable and check all connection points that you have access to from the modem backwards to the point of entry to ensure hungry squirrels haven't been busy and that all connections are tight and corrosion free (even behind wall plates). Check back as far as you have access. If all is good you need a tech out.

Trusted Helper

@reds91185 wrote:

You likely have damaged coax or exposed or corroded splitters that are letting water enter the system...possibly at the service drop. You can inspect all cable and check all connection points that you have access to from the modem backwards to the point of entry to ensure hungry squirrels haven't been busy and that all connections are tight and corrosion free (even behind wall plates). Check back as far as you have access. If all is good you need a tech out.

I agree,

Customer should schedule a signal and drop line test.  Check the drop and the main tap.  Avoid rebooting any boxes , modems, or routers prior to the service call for at least six hours.  Rebooting resets the error codes and the tech needs to see them.

Satch

Highlighted
Established Sharer

I can see that three of your 16 DS channels are showing negative signal levels (2, 3, & 14) and two of them are completely unuseable. Your connection definitely includes lengths of cable or equipment housings with a water intrusion problem, and a field tech should be able to locate the bad sections fairly fast.  WARNING:  Replacing that leaky waterlogged cable could take a week or more, possibly much longer if your area was impacted by Hurricane Florence.  So call Spectrum right away for a tech visit, and do NOT reset or unplug your modem to try to restore service. 

Also, with Spectrum internet service there is no such concept as a 'local internet provider' relative to your home address.  Spectrum only has a handful of IXP locations spread across all of North America, and everyone's internet traffic has to travel through one of those 'handoff' locations to get to the internet.  The data packets your computer sends to servers a few miles away from your house are traversing hundreds of miles before hopping over to a third-party network that feeds the internet.  Then they return to the destination IP address you specify in a similar fashion over a different ISP's network. 

Lead Moderator

@ahurtado8

Good morning. 

I was able to locate your account with your registration information. 

The majority of your downstream signals are out of range. 

I encourage you to contact our Social Media Customer Care team and 

schedule a technician.  If you will include the link to your post here that

would be helpful. 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums