Rookie

kind of funny how spectrum dont throttle.

i have spectrum i found they do throttle you they dont like to admit it they acuse it on the cable wire or the router its funny they call it a modem - ill explain router - multiple connections - moden normally used with phone and single connection- ok back to the info.
how do i know im being throttle
1 my speed on wiffi not full speed
2 use a vpn and whamo full speed
kinda funny oh well im not playing there game-
info spectrum is loosing customers
as in people are mad - about loosing channels and having to pay more to get them back i know 8 people that switched to dish network because of that i think its messed up there loosing customers oh well im goint to try to stick it out with them we will see what happens
9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: kind of funny how spectrum dont throttle.

peak useage speeds are limited by the backbone/ transport connection after RR's last server.

It's a TWC/ Spectrum business decision to not pay for peak bandwidths so Level3, Cogentco, AT&T just limits at that point and our ping times a page refreshes are delayed.

This has gotten way worst with streaming TV outside of TWC's own servers.

Rookie

i think it got worse when twc turned into spectrum as in they no longer mail the router and you have to goto the cable store to get them what about the people who have no car and the store is an hour away
Lead Moderator

Please remember to keep posts on topic. If you are looking for assistance

in troubeshooting an issue with your connection you can find 

information on what to post here: DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

The replacement of your modem will not correct underlying signal issues or 

many other issues which would need to be investigated by a Spectrum Technician.

Tech visits are free, there is no charge for them and if a problem is found with 

the connection we can get some one out to investigate.

We encourage you to post relevant information to try and get to the bottom 

of the issue.

Traceroutes would be helpful as would your signal level page. MsRaye is 

fantastic at interpreting these things and we encourage you to continue

the thread in a constructive manner. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

had spectrum here 18 times around that og well
Highlighted
Established Sharer

bman2003 wrote:
i have spectrum i found they do throttle you they dont like to admit it they acuse it on the cable wire or the router its funny they call it a modem - ill explain router - multiple connections - moden normally used with phone and single connection- ok back to the info.
how do i know im being throttle
1 my speed on wiffi not full speed
2 use a vpn and whamo full speed
kinda funny oh well im not playing there game-
... EDITED ...

The modem connectes to Spectrum's coaxial cable;  your router [if you have a separate one] provides a few Ethernet ports to which you can connect computers, Roku sticks, X-box, etc.  WiFi is part of the router portion, whether it's a separate box or combined with the modem as a network gateway.  A combination gateway with EMTA also includes VOIP circuitry used to connect to your home telephone wiring, and it MUST be provided by the communications company, NOT by the subscriber.  It does NOT operate over old-style POTS phone lines like modems from the previous century, it replaces them.

Next, the FCC has a very specific definition of throttling, and it's not just that you don't get the full speed you pay for on an internet end-to-end connection.  It involves SELECTIVELY reducing speed based on the source or destination endpoints of the connection, or the type of information being transported.  If the speeds are not being SELECTIVELY reduced, it's NOT considered throttling by the FCC.
You say that your speed measured on a device connected over WiFi is slow, but you get full speed when on a VPN.  If you connect to the VPN using an ethernet cable into the router instead of WiFi, the issue is most likely with your WiFi hardware configuration. 

Newcomer

Julia,

I have the same problem with wifi connection after I switched the Spectrum modem.  Through my WIFI router, everything else works exccept my security camera system is stopped working .  This is critical for my family because my son has been traumatized by the two burlaries in a row a few year ago.  The security camera system makes him feel safe at home.  Now it does not work. 

Brian

Valued Participant

brianhtran wrote:

Julia,

I have the same problem with wifi connection after I switched the Spectrum modem.  Through my WIFI router, everything else works exccept my security camera system is stopped working .  This is critical for my family because my son has been traumatized by the two burlaries in a row a few year ago.  The security camera system makes him feel safe at home.  Now it does not work. 

Brian

You'd probably get more answer to that issue if you started your own thread. Having said that, it's more likely that your camera needs a power cycle or reset. I have a camera that connects by ethernet and it's not transmitting image once in a while.

Established Sharer

You will get more reliable operation of your remote video cameras if you assign fixed IP addresses to the server and each camera.  When you changed modems your equipment was automatically issued a new IP address by Spectrum's system.  Chances are that your router is still looking for the previous unit.  You first need to reset the router to its factory defaults, then let it pull the new IP address and other system settings from the modem.   And it has nothing whatsoever to do with throttling. 

Expert

Spectrum has dropped all support for any externally acessable camera's thru IP (game) port extensions on all in one modem router combo's.

You need a real router that you own and is seperate from the modem so they can't reset it.

Also proper DHCP setup at 192.168.x.100 and up and statics @ 192.168.x.99 n down, do not use 192.168.x.2-10 for anything.

o