help finding a modem that will work with spectrum

right now i have found the Motorola 8x4 Cable Modem Gateway + Wi-Fi N450 GigE Router with Power Boost, Model MG7315, 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 and the ARRIS SURFboard SBG6700AC DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi AC1600 Router, Both are supported by spectrum but thet are under the minimally qualified modems. Will these modems still work with no problems? and if i have any problems what would those problems be.

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: help finding a modem that will work with spectrum

Anything with the Motorola name on it should not be purchased as they are out of the modem business for over 3 years.

Why do you want to buy a modem when spectrum is providing them for free? If there's any issues they can't blame it on your Customer Owned And Maintained (COAM) device!

I would not buy any 8x4 modem as most are not full bandwidth and were designed for sequential channels, not scattered over a 32 or wider range.

The newer DSP is a lot better

as far ias i know they are still charging us for renting the modem. it should be noted that im not the one paying the bills 

Expert

TWC legacy customers get charged for renting modems, Spectrum customers get the modem for free

If you're not paying the bill, how do you know you're paying for a modem rental?

If you have twc cable, you don't want to switch to Spectrum

[ Edited ]

because im the one they came to to try and get out of paying the rentel fee. Why wouldnt i want to switch to spectrum in that case since they get it for free

Established Sharer

I think if you read the Spectrum promotion literature CAREFULLY you will find that their price for 60 Mbps includes the modem itself, but there is still an added charge if you want them to provide WiFi.  The device is still a combo modem+router with its settings controlled solely by Spectrum, not you.  You will also lose your present TWC television channel lineup and any unexpired TWC package discounts.  Spectrum doesn't carry the same channels in their programming tiers or premium packages.

Sharer

There's nothing inherently wrong with Spectrum, it's just may be different than what you have now. Some people are okay with that and to some it's a dealbreaker. If you switch to a Spectrum package just be aware of what is included/not included. Modem fee is included in the price of the internet package but enabling wifi is $5 a month. This is where most people suggest using your own router to save the wifi fee. You can use your own modem if you want but there is no discount on the plan. Switching to a Spectrum tv package may or may not make you lose what you have now, or you may gain something you currently don't have.  For me personally, the channels I lost switching to Spectrum were channels I never watched anyway, and I gained a couple that I watch all the time now...and I pay less than my TWC package for the moment.

Expert

That's somewhat bad advice as well... You DO NOT WANT AN ALL IN ONE DEVICE.

Put the Spectrum into bridge mode and buy a quality router with  decent wireless dual band radios in it. That keeps the cable co out of the router and you now get the wireless/ wifi for free, yet if there's signal level/ interference issues, twc can't blame your modem since it's theirs, lol.

can you recommend several? TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750) seems good and well-priced? is it a good one? TIA
Newcomer

Could someone just answer the original question? What is the best brand and model of modem?

As a former timewarner cable customer in the north east what are the recomended brand and model of modems? I want to replace a personally owned modem of my own and I would like the latest recomended models.