Highlighted
Rookie

can I buy a cisco 2100 modem?

Time Warner just upped my modem rental by %30 and I want to buy my own cable modem. I printed out the approved list of cable modems and the IPv6 list. Should I buy from the regular list or the IPv6 list. Also, why Amazon sells the same modem that I am leasing (Cisco 2100) why can't I buy one of these?

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: can I buy a cisco 2100 modem?

Amazon and ebay and others sell a lot of supposed "hi speed" obsolete junk. This is a single channel docsis 2 modem and will barely work @ 15mbps. TWC and other cable companies can't afford to change all these out and for slow service they still work but tie up the system for everyone as they're only single channel. Get a sb 6141 especially if your area is going to get a speed upgrade... they'll do 100 meg service!

Helper

some suggestions: Modem and Router selection

redrock in Austin, Tx
dcb
Rookie

I bought my modem a while back, look at the websites for Newegg, Microcenter and Fry's. I find the Newegg website is particualar helpful on reviews. I bought the Motorola white modem version and have had few is any issues.

Note, many modems are just modems and not router/firewalls. When considering routers, look at the age of the design. While I love ones like the Linksys WRT54G series, their CPU is just not up to dealing with much more than 15MB bandwidth.

For your reference, here is a list of TWC approved devices that you can purchase: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/buy-your-modem.html